Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Oh WTF just happened?

SB is a huge calling station = free money (calls down with bottom pair bottom kicker, backdoor straight/flush draws, etc).

BB is a solid TAG

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero says "WTF?!"

Another hand where I sort of felt this way...

UTG is the same TAG as the BB in the previous hand
SB is a semi-LAG

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font> (whoops, misclick), UTG calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero...
Old 09-05-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Oh WTF just happened?

I think hand #1 is an easy river cap. Think of it this way: you always have one of the two beat. You win 2 bets every time you're ahead (we assume since SB is terrible he's usually not folding) and only lose 1 max when behind. I think you're easily ahead here 1 out of 3. Hence it's an easy cap. Sure, you'll get shown A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] sometimes, but not more than two thirds of the time.

On hand number two you're in a bad spot. You are getting 6-1, which is enough to call with the OESD, but you are relatively likely to be drawing to a chop (or even almost dead to AJ), and UTG could still get more aggressive. The [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s will be dead some significant portion as well. And it's a one card draw, meaning you have lower implied odds. I'd lean toward a fold. If you get three-bet and end up putting in 3 BB here it's going to hurt, considering you aren't really 38-8 here, but more like probably 7-1 against effectively.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:46 PM

hand 1. there are four cards to a straight on board. very easy to imagine one or both have a straight and the other a worse flush. a rivered set is also possible for SB if he sucks. you have to call and I see no reason to cap.

hand 2. what a bad flop raise, you say misclick so I guess we should believe you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

on the turn worst case is it gets capped and you pay four bets to win 17 immediate plus two+ on the river, so almost 5-1. best case is UTG calls and you pay two to win 13 plus two+ implied or 7.5-1. no reason really to think anyone has a flush draw but you could be drawing to a chop. it's an action board but I would tend weight it more to the 7.5-1 scenario and see the river.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think hand #1 is an easy river cap. Think of it this way: you always have one of the two beat. You win 2 bets every time you're ahead (we assume since SB is terrible he's usually not folding) and only lose 1 max when behind. I think you're easily ahead here 1 out of 3. Hence it's an easy cap. Sure, you'll get shown A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] sometimes, but not more than two thirds of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Deranged, or anyone, can you help a brotha out? As usual Deranged posts something that looks to be brilliant but could be crap, because I don't understand it at all. I know its not crap. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2006, 03:34 PM

hand 1, easy river cap. If the BB has the nuts, good for him. If you cap, the SB folds about never and a half.

hand 2, I just call and pray.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:43 PM

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, 5.
[color=#666666]3 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K, 6, 8 [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 9 [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]SB raises</font>, [color=#CC3333]BB 3-bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

Results in white below: [color=#FFFFFF]
SB has 4d Jd (flush, jack high).
BB has Ad 8d (flush, ace high).
Hero has Kd 5d (flush, king high).
Outcome: BB wins 19.50 BB. </font>
Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Simple version:

We don't need to be ahead 50% of the time to make capping correct. We only need to be ahead over 33% of the time.

So cap if you think you're winning more than 1 in 3.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:02 PM

maybe I'm underestimating the times we get called in two spots. really BB is going to have a flush here a lot of the time that he calls and Axdd is more likely than Qxdd, which is more likely than Jxdd, etc..

I'm not convinced SB will call two bets without a flush. maybe I'm grossly overestimating him.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not convinced SB will call two bets without a flush. maybe I'm grossly overestimating him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are. He may also have a straight or 2-pair given the board.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB has 4d Jd (flush, jack high).

[/ QUOTE ]

At least this [censored] got what was coming to him. Nice flop call [censored].