Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 05:50 PM

Default My friend\'s bustout of the Borgata $500

So my buddy is playing his typical TAG game, runs good early and gets to ~10K. He was just short of that 10K when this hand comes up. UTG is around 15k, and had been at my friend's table the whole 5 or so hours. According to my friend, villian had played the same style early, but had gotten a bit more aggressive the last round or two. Around 250 left out of 1033, top 100 get paid. Please excuse the crudity of the post.

Blinds 200/400/25a.

Villian (UTG) limps. 2 other limpers. Hero limps in CO with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Button calls. BB knocks. 6 to the flop

Flop 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Checked around.

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Checked to hero, who bets 1500, UTG calls, everyone else folds. (Pot 5425)

River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Hero hits set, board shows three diamonds, potential, but unlikely straight. UTG thinks for a bit and says "I'll put you all-in." Hero has ~8000-8500 left.

Aside from playing the hand differently post-flop, how often do we find a fold here?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Re: My friend\'s bustout of the Borgata $500

Almost every time honestly. I don't think villain puts half his stack at risk on this board without a hand that beats trips. Sure, it's a big bet and could be taken as a bluff. But, unless he's POSITIVE your friend doesn't have a straight or flush, then I don't think he can make a play like this.

--TFGoose
Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 PM

if it were advantageous to fold face up (it's not), I'd do it just so I could laugh at the villain in this post.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if it were advantageous to fold face up (it's not), I'd do it just so I could laugh at the villain in this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hilarious. I half-jokingly suggested my friend fold face up and congratulate villian if he was repping flush/straight with air.