Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 03:58 AM

Default Video, review me.

Hi, I've made a vid of myself playing SSSH, 2/4. It's split up into two files:

Video 1 - 19 Megs, 13 minutes

Video 2 - 25 Megs, 16 minutes

Please review my play. I am going through tough times poker wise. PM me if you wanna see the graphs.

I bungled a bunch of hands here, like making a field shutting out raise with only a flushdraw, because I thought I could take it down UI, and 3betting a v. strong hand on the flop because I wasn't paying attention and thought I was OoP, and the list goes on.. but all comments are appreciated! Thanks!

If you do nothing else, check out the first hand of the second video for a laugh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2006, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Video, review me.

I'm about to go to bed so didn't watch too much of this, but I think you photoshopped hand 1 of first file ... it never works out for me that way [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2006, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Video, review me.

I will have a look.

Know what you mean about tough time poker wise. Just switched from pokerstars to full tilt and at the rough end of a 250BB downswing at 3/6.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Video 1

First of all, may I say you are obviously a very competent player. I have a few comments before going into the hands:

Video 1 with you 2-tabling creates a similar less +EV slant to my reviewing as it does to someone 2-tabling themselves - As i'm forced to make decisions and comments on both tables, I was unable to properly use your HUD stats to help those decisions. Thus, the ones below may be wrong at times.

I would respectfully suggest next time to have split this into 2x 1-table videos, which would have been easier to fully explore. Yes, I see you want twice the answers and to save us half the time, but the quality of these answers may be lacking as a result of you putting 2 tables in.

Secondly, a legend as to your HUD layout would have helped. I notice you have recently been championing the cause of PAHUD AF over PT AF, but this would have been a good time to fully explain a) your layout and b) the intricacies of HUD AF.

Ok, now on to the hands. Just the value and sometimes position, i'm afraid. They are all chronological though, so you can skim through for them.

top table A8s - i normally check the turn behind as a slowplay, not bet again. I would have missed serious bets there. Did you have a read or do you always bet the nuts twice on a mono flop/blank turn?

top table TT - I bet the turn there if i think i can fold out the guy on my left. If not, i just give up. 4-handed, 2 overcards, flush draw, c/f for me.

top table KJo steal - I fold to the flop c/r, you're not getting anywhere what you need to hit the gutshot.

top table AJs - i b/3b the flop with overs + FD. Did you choose not to because you thought you could get a c/r in with your many outs?

bottom table A4o BB - i bet the turn and check the river behind rather than check that turn.

top table 76s SB - this is a steal HU for me.

top table 88 button - I think in the heat of battle i raise PF and instantly regret it. This seems like a decent place to limp along. Although, it's close. Closer moreso when you think you can get the blinds out (see, this is the point i made earlier, i couldn't check the HUD figures to see if they defended or were too loose, and this is a critical limp-or-raise decision that alters the rest of the hand)

QJo bottom table - that's an easy isolate with QJo to a poor player.

Will do video 2 now.
SSSHreviewer
Old 09-04-2006, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Video 1

Ok, quick legend:

Main stat line:

VPIP/PFR/Total Agg Freq/WtSD

Number of Hands (white), Attempt to Steal (light blue)
Agg Freq on Flop/Turn/River (purple)
Fold to Bet % on Flop/Turn/River (green)
Old 09-04-2006, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

top table AJs - i b/3b the flop with overs + FD. Did you choose not to because you thought you could get a c/r in with your many outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick recap of hand: I open raise AJs in SB against a 56/12/37/32 BB who defends by calling. I bet the 437 flop that has given me a flush draw and he raises. I Call.

I was planning on seeing a showdown while reserving the right to c/r if I hit one of my many outs. Is keeping the initiative better here?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
top table 76s SB - this is a steal HU for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did steal with it HU, did you mean it isn't a steal for you?

[ QUOTE ]
top table 88 button - I think in the heat of battle i raise PF and instantly regret it. This seems like a decent place to limp along. Although, it's close. Closer moreso when you think you can get the blinds out

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I would have raised one limper in a heartbeat but with two I decided to limp along. I had no read on the blinds at the time so I just assumed they were loose (I have already tangled with most of the taggish regulars in this game a bunch, so if I see an unknown they're assumed loose until proven tight)

[ QUOTE ]

QJo bottom table - that's an easy isolate with QJo to a poor player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't isolate because he was unusually tight. 25/0. I saw him open limp with ATo earlier in the vid.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Video 2

AKo bottom table - I play it exactly the same way, but I imagine your HUD stats will refresh soon on that player, raise/capping J6o and betting down sounds less like a 41/14/semi-aggro than an 80/50/aggro.

K4s top table - played very well, but it would have been a tough, tough river decision if one of them bet. if CO bet, button folded, i guess you can call closing the action, but CO has shown strength betting into two players. Conversely, if CO checked and button bet you would feel your hand was stronger, but have the risk of CO calling/raising behind you. Tricky river you were lucky not to have to worry over!

AKo SB bottom table - again, this guy isn't even 50/20. His playing range must be at least 70/35 or more. make notes and don't rely on his HUD just yet.

TT button top table - I think my default is to bet the turn and check the river, folding to a c/r, but checking the turn and calling a river bet is an alternative. Or were you planning to check, c/f?

27o bottom table - i c/c the river vs this donkey here too. True, his checking may set alarm bells off, but you have to showdown against them as they are insane.

K8s top table - that's an early raise for K8s, i raise K9s there but not 8. My personal cutoff.

QTo button top table - I would usually isolate here. Depends on the blinds again, and I'm not checking those stats at present.

QTs button bottom table - it may be worth a CC or 3b versus this donkey, in position. I may posit a CC to get the blinds along too.

89s BB top table - I had to rewind to see the play of this hand as i was concentrating on your bottom table flopped straight. This is the inherent peril of 2tabling videos.
(incidentally, nice work cracking the donkey's AA)

A6o SB top table - I call in the SB there getting 7-1 and risking domination. I know some don't advocate it, it may not be good myself, but at present i do.

QTs UTG bottom table - I raise KTs/QJs UTG. I'm not unhappy seeing others raise QTs though.

J8s BB bottom table - you sure did mash this up. I think raising the flop isn't bad IF you can count on donkey cold calling 2. Calling is better though. Turn bet is atrocious against this guy. BET THE RIVER!! Looking at results now...you're an idiot. Sorry, but he had a straight. I thought that, but even if he doesn't he's calling 1 at least, maybe even doing you the favour of raising a worse hand. DON'T try and c/r there.

AQs SB top table [had to rewind again...] - tough decision on turn and b/f is likely best.

10:22 - you need to give us warning of a table switcheroo like that, we could get into all sorts of confusion misapplying earlier reads.

75s BB top table - I check the turn behind because I don't want to get c/r and find myself paying extravagantly for the draw.

33 BB bottom table - raise PF. Then you get several court cards to bluff with as well as a 3 to make you a monster. That and metagame considerations about making those at the table who use their eyes instead of let light pour through them that you defend your blind.

A8o SB top table - with an overcard and a BDFD, did you not even hesitate to consider peeling? Did the players behind, or the playing proclivity of the flop bettor make you think twice? I just saw results before i started typing and if you had a read on the guy that suggested such a think i respect the flop fold.

TT button bottom table - i check the river there too. not sure it's right either. results oriented? maybe. but worse hands may well call, ace high, an 8, a lower PP; a J isn't going to raise you if they hadn't already, so I say go ahead and bet, and will adjust my own game accordingly. Value bets are crucial.

T8o SB (had to rewind!!) - betting this flop gets you in this sort of pickle. Bet the turn again? check and let the draw catch OR get an induced bluff? I think I c/f this flop to avoid getting OOP with a weak hand down the road. Is that weak? I don't think so on this board.

K9o CO - you didn't even stop to consider raising that. It's a good steal hand against the right blinds.

KQs BB - not sure i like the turn b/c. I'd c/c if i wanted to improve, or c/f if the odds were bad. thing is, when you bet you price yourself in to calling for your up to 6 outs. Not fun.

JJ BB top table - I've folded the turn in very similar situations where you *may just* have been ahead. note dallas's donkey pf limp (and flop raise? forgotten action already).

AA bottom table - no, call the c/r and raise a turn bet. Do you fear villain will check-call the turn, so you get another SB in here? I think b/c, r beats this line. Not results oriented. just read OP again and this must be the 3b vsh mistake!

My final comment to add to those in the first reply is that if you had made 4 videos of you 1-tabling, it wouldn't be exactly 2x as long to watch it all as you'd have greater editing power to shave off seconds, i guess.

In all, you're a good player. I will try to avoid you.

SSSHreviewer
Old 09-04-2006, 05:33 AM

AJs - i prefer to keep the initiative, but that's my playing style. I understand your reasons for b/c and they are very salient. I am not prepared to say which one of us is right, but I did very much like the line. I guess it's one of those offsetting the chances of betting UI all the way and winning vs surrendering that chance for a greater c/r% chance when you do hit.

top table 76s sb - 7:57. You don't "steal", you opencomplete. I raise.

QJo hand - if he's unusually tight, fold QJo for risk of domination. It plays ok multiway with the blinds, but i'd prefer it HU. If villain is passive pre, may be passive pro and you can get a possibly dominated pair to SD cheap.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
K4s top table

[/ QUOTE ]
I was planning to fold and not lose much sleep. I was really suprised when they both called the turn, checked the river, and I won. I was doubly suprised when I noticed that one of the guys had AK and had played it super passively! So I used this as a read on him. Like when I bet/fold AQ against him later in the session, I didn't feel any remorse at all.

[ QUOTE ]

AKo SB bottom table - again, this guy isn't even 50/20. His playing range must be at least 70/35 or more. make notes and don't rely on his HUD just yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was kinda tricky, he raised my flop bet, and I planned to c/f the turn unimproved, but he checked through the turn. There was a 2 flush on the flop so I felt obligated to call the river incase he was making a flush draw free card play (which I kinda doubt, in retrospect..). So he got an extra bet from me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
TT button top table - I think my default is to bet the turn and check the river, folding to a c/r, but checking the turn and calling a river bet is an alternative. Or were you planning to check, c/f?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I was gonna check through and call. It seemed like I was either walking into a checkraise or getting an immediate fold when I bet the turn. And my hand wasn't too vulnerable so I risked the free card. Unfortunately my induction didn't work. And I pussed out on the river.

[ QUOTE ]

J8s BB bottom table - you sure did mash this up. I think raising the flop isn't bad IF you can count on donkey cold calling 2. Calling is better though. Turn bet is atrocious against this guy. BET THE RIVER!! Looking at results now...you're an idiot. Sorry, but he had a straight. I thought that, but even if he doesn't he's calling 1 at least, maybe even doing you the favour of raising a worse hand. DON'T try and c/r there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I hated this hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] About the river, is my holding just too obvious?

[ QUOTE ]

10:22 - you need to give us warning of a table switcheroo like that, we could get into all sorts of confusion misapplying earlier reads.

[/ QUOTE ]
Donkey left [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

33 BB bottom table - raise PF. Then you get several court cards to bluff with as well as a 3 to make you a monster. That and metagame considerations about making those at the table who use their eyes instead of let light pour through them that you defend your blind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good advice

[ QUOTE ]

A8o SB top table - with an overcard and a BDFD, did you not even hesitate to consider peeling? Did the players behind, or the playing proclivity of the flop bettor make you think twice? I just saw results before i started typing and if you had a read on the guy that suggested such a think i respect the flop fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
The flop bettor seemed real passive, so I mucked it. He had declined a million chances to take stabs at HU pots in position when I checked to him. It turns out the table crazy on the top table (who I didn't tangle with much) had overlimped AA, but I had no read or any idea that this was a possibility.

[ QUOTE ]

TT button bottom table - i check the river there too. not sure it's right either. results oriented? maybe. but worse hands may well call, ace high, an 8, a lower PP; a J isn't going to raise you if they hadn't already, so I say go ahead and bet, and will adjust my own game accordingly. Value bets are crucial.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree

[ QUOTE ]

KQs BB - not sure i like the turn b/c. I'd c/c if i wanted to improve, or c/f if the odds were bad. thing is, when you bet you price yourself in to calling for your up to 6 outs. Not fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
These situations are tough and I may just fire indiscrimently too much. I kinda hoped they were on [censored] overcards and would fold the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

JJ BB top table - I've folded the turn in very similar situations where you *may just* have been ahead. note dallas's donkey pf limp (and flop raise? forgotten action already).

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean to the first turn donk? I really wanted to fold, but I couldn't. Also, how about the results on this hand? Idiot raises the flop with what, bottom pair? I get to threebet the flop with them drawing to 4 outs each (since they both have a 3, one of their 5 outs is dead) and they hit! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]