Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2006, 10:28 AM

Default TV/DVD Review: The Office (UK version)

The Office (UK Version)

I suspect lots more of you know about the Office already cos of the American version that's been produced.

Thank goodness for at least some reworkings, I say, for this reason alone... I'm not gonna mention the American version at all in this review, but happy to discuss it in any comments that follow the review.

The Office is an English TV series that is a mock documentary about a paper merchants office in a dreary town in the South of England called Slough (nearish to London, if that helps), and what happens in this office. I suspect there's been many occasions that people have switched this on, and started to watch and really believed it was a documentary, when in fact it is a comedy. why? No punchlines, no obvious jokes, and lots of seemingly mundance work and banter...

But no no no no no. This is one of the most original and funny comedy in years. The only thing to find fault about it is that is takes a little getting used to. I can guarantee that there are many, many people out there that's watched an episode and maybe smiled a little, then rewatched it later and been laughing loud, and then with a third watching, been laughing so hard it hurts... it creeps up on you, and once that switch flicks in your head how it all fits together, you just will laugh and laugh - no matter how many times you see an episode. Not everyone's gonna get it, not everyone will want to sit through enough to start appreciating it, but if you do, this is absolute comedy gold.

The lead character here is David Brent, played by Ricky Gervais, a man so bereft of tact or awareness it staggers you - but Gervais pulls it off - I don't think you'd ever feel this is a caricature. He goes through his day wanting to be popular, spouting complete nonsense as if he's imparting the wisdom of the gods, trying to be an entertainer and all round talented and wonderful guy. Also is his assistant, Gareth, a skinny and similarly-inclined spouter of the ridiculous and embarrassing. There's also Tim, about the only normal guy here, who wants to deep-down escape the grinding situation and who secretly yearns for Dawn, the receptionist - and of course Dawn, who secretly likes him (but who is engaged to a thick as [censored] warehouseman who works downstairs). There's various other characters, including the revolting salesman Finchy, and David's equal and then boss, Neil. These, and various other characters interact, and talk to the camera about how things are, how their day is, and so on.

Sounds rubbish - but nope. It's well-written, well-acted, and funny beyond words. Peversely, the very funniest bits - and there are many - are the most cringingly embarrassing trainwrecks of dialogue and situation. If you can bear to look, you will be rewarded.

There were 2 series made (6 episodes each) and 2 specials, and it's funny all the way through. The second series is more adult in tone (lots of swearing, inneundo, and even a brief glimpse at a sexual act, for example). If you've not seen one, best to watch in order if possible, as there is a storyline progression through all of them.

There's not a dud here at all, and the character interplay is awesomely good. Take Neil - a good manager - the sort you'd pick if you had a choice - who's a real adult, and to see how the childish, petulant David talks to Neil is just both AAAAAAAGGGGG! and piss-yourself-laughing at the same time.

But the best episodes include one where the boys go to a nighclub after work, a 'comic relief' day where David tries to outshine a choreographed dance that Neil does with what David describes as a mixture of "Flashdance and MC Hammer sh*t"- lol. There's also one where David does some independent training to a group of perplexed and slightly stunned individuals.

But the best one of all IMHO is the one where David hijacks a staff training day by getting out his guitar and doing an impromptu gig (series 1, episode 5) . You just have to see it to believe it. He gives us a rendition of his song 'Free Love on the Free Love Highway'.

The vibe of this series is a bit like 'Spinal Tap', or 'Best in Show', or 'A Might Wind', if that helps. Also, non-UK viewers might have some initial problems with the dialects, but they're not that strong, and you'd get used to them, I suspect.

Here's some examples of the dialogue...
=======================================
David Brent: Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.
---------
David Brent: Look at this (browsing the internet) - "Dutch girls must be punished for having big boobs". Now you do not punish a girl, Dutch or otherwise, for having big boobs.
Gareth: If anything they should be rewarded.
---------
David Brent: I haven't got a sign on the door that says white people only. I don't care if you're black, brown or yellow - you know, Orientals make very good workers.
---------
David Brent: Welcome to Alcoholics Anonymous! No - purely social. I know someone who is an alchoholic and it is no laughing matter - particularly for his wife. And she's got alopecia. So... not a happy homelife.
---------
David Brent: If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain - do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of [censored].
---------
Gareth: I'm not homophobic, all right? Come around, look at my C.D collection. You'll find Queen, George Michael, Pet Shop Boys. They're all bummers.
---------
[Jennifer, David's superior, has just been insulted in the warehouse by the warehouse crew]
Jennifer Taylor-Clark: I just can't believe their total lack of respect.
David Brent: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Not only did they undermine you in an authoritative sense, but they left an image in my mind of you naked on all fours literally being done doggy style.
=========================================
Okay, if you've seen it and like, you'll know what I'm about, and I urge you to post and give a shout out.

Likewise, seen it and hate it, pour out that hate. I just want people who haven't seen it to be impressed enough to go find it, is all.

OVERALL: 5
REWATCHABILITY: over and over again if you dig. No delay necessary. Older teens upwards.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Previous Reviews in: OOT Film/TV/DVD Repository
Old 01-15-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: TV/DVD Review: The Office (UK version)

Not to start out nitpicking but I think its the "Free Love FREEway" not to be confused with the "Hot Love Highway" The show is just awesome. You really have no idea just how good an actor Ricky Gervais is because it seems like this is some actual douchebag manager at an office. It's really easy to forget that this isn't real. The 5 is well deserved. Buy it, watch it, love it, watch it again to get all the jokes you missed. Most of them are very subtle and understated. The actual documentaries about the production are superb too.

The relationship between Tim and Gareth boiled down to 3 lines of dialog:

Gareth: Well what am I thinking then?
Tim: You're thinking "If I'm ever stuck on a desert island would I be able to eat my shoes?"
Gareth: Nope...I was thinking "Will there ever be a boy born...that can swim faster than a shark"
Old 01-15-2006, 10:57 AM

I got these DVDs after watching the US version, and it's awesome. If you like comedy, you will like The Office. I had to watch some scenes like 5 times before I understood what they were saying though, but that's just because I'm not used to the British accents.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:19 AM

Cock
Old 01-15-2006, 11:54 AM

My friends and I do this. It's awesome, especially when it's in public and whoever gets called starts laughing after a 1 second phonecall.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got these DVDs after watching the US version, and it's awesome. If you like comedy, you will like The Office. I had to watch some scenes like 5 times before I understood what they were saying though, but that's just because I'm not used to the British accents.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RON!

All together now...

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
gonna grab some afternoon delight.
My motto's always been; when it's right, it's right.
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night.
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day.
And you know the night is always gonna be there any way.

Sky rockets in flight. Afternoon delight. Afternoon delight.

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
looking forward to a little afternoon delight.
Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
and the thought of rubbin' you is getting so exciting.

Started out this morning feeling so polite
I always though a fish could not be caught who wouldn't bite
But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might try nibbling
a little afternoon delight.

Please be waiting for me baby when I come around.
We could make a lot of lovin' 'for the sun goes down.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:16 PM

diebitter,

I resisted watching the American version for a while, assuming it would be just like most American versions of great British shows like this, not translating the humour well. But it is really great as well!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
diebitter,

I resisted watching the American version for a while, assuming it would be just like most American versions of great British shows like this, not translating the humour well. But it is really great as well!

[/ QUOTE ]

El D.

I was waiting for this...

Yes, I agree. It's more conventional, but I do believe the US version is not left behind in this race - and that's saying a lot, given the standard. The 'diversity episode' in series 1 is awesomely funny, for example. And Dwight is the comic creation of the decade IMO. I could go on, but must depart for a while, so if anyone else wants to rant about it, feel free...
Old 01-15-2006, 12:25 PM

Absolutely brilliant no question.

[ QUOTE ]
David Brent: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Not only did they undermine you in an authoritative sense, but they left an image in my mind of you naked on all fours literally being done doggy style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha when I heard David say this my jaw practically hit the floor. You will never see anything like this on American TV EVER. This show is fantastic. Best TV series I've ever watched and I like CYE and Seinfeld. Ricky Gervais accent is very difficult for Americans but you get used to it after awhile and he is so worth it.

That video he does, "If You Don't Know Me by Now" destroyed me. I think if I had to pick one moment in TV history that was my favorite it might just be that. God, the opening where he releases the dove and his voice is all gravelly, hilarious beyond words. Oh and the motivational training episode. Wow. I just wanted to take him by the shoulders and shake him. Ridiculous.

Did you mention that The Office became the first UK sitcom (and Ricky Gervais the first UK actor) to win for best comedy at the Golden Globes a few years ago? I remember at the time watching him accepting the award and no idea who he was or how special he was.

Great review diebitter. But just a 5? It needs to be in a special category of its own. Tim and Gareth are wonderful.

Watching him get his picture taken just kills me.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great review diebitter. But just a 5? It needs to be in a special category of its own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've been through this before. There is a 6, but you need to be shot through the head straight after watching, to preserve the greatness of your viewing experience.

There's no way I'm shooting you through the head, Peg! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

EDIT: Oh, the rest of you - please note this is the only 5 I've given for anything. IT'S THAT GOOD!