Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 01:11 AM

Default It\'s gotta be close, right?

TAG (28/22/2.8) opens from HJ. I 3bet black 9's from the SB. I've been 3betting him a ton and winning every single hand. Despite that, he's still opening a ton. He may be tilting.

The flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet. He raises. I 3bet. He calls.

The turn is the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet. He raises.

In the millisecond that flashed before my eyes, I thought about 3betting, calling and c/c any river, calling and c/r any nondiamond river...I'm really not sure what is best here.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: It\'s gotta be close, right?

[ QUOTE ]
TAG (28/22/2.8) opens from HJ. I 3bet red 9's from the SB. I've been 3betting him a ton and winning every single hand. Despite that, he's still opening a ton. He may be tilting.

The flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet. He raises. I 3bet. He calls.

In the millisecond that flashed before my eyes, I thought about 3betting, calling and c/c any river, calling and c/r any nondiamond river...I'm really not sure what is best here.

[/ QUOTE ]close the table and cash out. party is rigged, two 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]!!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:16 AM

but otherwise I like the calling and c/r any nondiamond river line.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 AM

3 bet. It looks like he's getting frustrated with you.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3 bet. It looks like he's getting frustrated with you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-02-2006, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TAG (28/22/2.8) opens from HJ. I 3bet red 9's from the SB. I've been 3betting him a ton and winning every single hand. Despite that, he's still opening a ton. He may be tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your description of the player and game tempo, I think this is a pretty good spot to sacrifice what might be some immediate profit for a longer-term investment in the dreaded "metagame" (this assumes he's got decent cash at the table, he's a player you'll play with again and again even if he leaves this particular table in the near term, ad you think he's reasonably observant). I'd call and C/C the river regardless. There are a number of potential outcomes here, I think the passive c/c to SD line maximizes your pyschological battle with this guy. For example: (1) he flopped flush - you got out with a minimum loss; (2) he flopped two-pair - you didn't extract the maximum but damn you just keep beating th bastard at SD; (3) he has xQ and spewed into you once again; (4) he has a FD and fills on river -- you pushed him but got away with the minimum loss; (5) he has a FD and misses - he spewed again and just can't take a pot from you; or (6) he has something weird like an overpair and either loses another pot or sucks out drawing nearly dead. The worst of all for you is he has 55 and you missed a fair numer of bets (particularly on river when it doesn't 4-flush) - but that happens rarely.

I think your hand is strong enough to take more aggressive lines in a vacuum here, but I spend more and more of my time these days looking for situations where I can sow confusion and frustration in the minds of other TAGs / reasonably solid players that I expect to see with some frequency so that they play sub-optimally against me when we share a table and/or choose to avoid tables / confrontations with me. (I am reading a fair bit into your description of this player as "TAG (stats)").
Old 09-02-2006, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TAG (28/22/2.8) opens from HJ. I 3bet black 9's from the SB. I've been 3betting him a ton and winning every single hand. Despite that, he's still opening a ton. He may be tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think hes tilting the best thing to do is to hammer him. If he gets super frustrated he will either tilt by raising more (good) or go into his shell (also good as hes attacking your blinds), or if you drive him away from the table there's an open spot for a bad player to sit at. I cap the turn, and call a river raise.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:48 AM

I 3 bet non-tilted, A-game-playing people here, so yeah, definitely 3 bet.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-02-2006, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 3 betting is good, but if he caps it I think you have to just call down. In my opinion the CR a nondiamond river would be too much.