Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 09:51 PM

Default $5 Stone cold turn push shortstacked

The big blind is sitting out. All the players to my left are weak/tight from what I can gather. I've folded 3 times around the table so far. The only reason I didn't fold was due to the BB sitting out. About 100 left until money. This play justifyable on any level or totally donk move?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t9195)
MP2 (t10705)
Hero (t2685)
CO (t5037)
Button (t2705)
SB (t6025)
BB (t6980)
UTG (t4925)
UTG+1 (t5940)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t500, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1400) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t2200) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1685 (All-In)</font>

edit: Just realized I had a straight draw on turn. Not so stone cold after all.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Re: $5 Stone cold turn push shortstacked

I'm not keen. I'd be thinking SB has a pair and will call because he's already put 1000 in and there's not much you can have here that beats him.

This smells of "sheet, my steal failed and now I've got half my stack in... where to now?" I think this is why it's not always a great idea to try to steal this light.

Just as a matter of interest, why didn't you push the flop? Or just fold? Okay, SB probably doesn't have a great hand but you can get away reasonably cheaply by just mucking it right there.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:51 AM

wtf are you doing here with 4Jo ???
Your all-in after the turn is pathetic in many ways:
1. As already mentioned, your crying to this guy to please please go away, because you missed the flop, the turn couldn't help you, so now you just say fck it. If you were going to push do it on the flop to represent an overpair which would seem likely with your initial raise, and it would make sense since the pot containes 1800 and you push your remaining 2085.
2. His pot odds are 2.3:1 so anything in his hand will seem decent with this kind of board and your play.

Next time don't get involved with 4Jo unless you have a monster stack to make some moves. And if you must steal in desperation (which you werent in here), then push that 4Jo pf.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as a matter of interest, why didn't you push the flop? Or just fold? Okay, SB probably doesn't have a great hand but you can get away reasonably cheaply by just mucking it right there.

[/ QUOTE ]
At the time I thought pushing the flop would look rather peculiar and he did fire at it so he is at least interested. I didn't figure 2000 chips versus 1600 was much of a difference. Cold calling 400 here on a short stack looks stronger and less stealish and I could either fold if he fired out again losing just that 400 or push if he checked and likely take down the pot unless he is trapping.

Anyways, that's why I didn't push the flop. If he bet more I would have folded the flop for sure.