Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 03:03 AM

Default Ethics Question: Mobile Phone Location

I just saw in a store you could pay for a service to allow you to request the location of a mobile phone, and get a street map returned via internet or mobile phone showing, within 50 yards, where the phone is.

They sell it as a protection for parents to know where their kids are, but it blew my mind this was even available.

So, ethical question this raised in my head... if you were wondering where your significant other goes to sometimes in the middle of the day or in the evening, would you use such a device if:

a) You were 95% sure they'd never find out?
b) If you did use it, how long would you leave it running once you set it up? Would a week settle your mind say, or would you leave it on longer than that?

Also: Given the easy access to spy/surveillance stuff you have these days and its relatively low cost, do you think jealous/insecure people are the biggest market for these type of devices?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Ethics Question: Mobile Phone Location

db,

If you are worried about having an ethical quandry, then tell your SO to unplug her phone's battery when not in use so that you won't be tempted to try to track her.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:55 PM

I know the question at hand is ethics, but I think you have to consider the legal aspects.

I was immediately reminded of this story
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.co...p;date=2006081 7

In the end, this man will be spending 8 months in jail for felony stalking.

As far as the questions asked, no I would never use such a device.

I wonder who else besides the jealous/insecure would want to access this technology?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:43 AM

If I were a parent of a teenager that was obviously lying to me, I might use this.

I would use it if I lost my phone during a night of going out or if it was stolen.

I would NEVER use to spy on my girlfriend/wife.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 AM

There are legitimate reasons for such a service, but obviously there are huge privacy concerns.

I actually thought that the owner of the phone had to accept/allow the service through a text message or something initially. Obviouslly, you could get round this problem if you have unfettered access to the phone for a short while. However, as long as the service also sent a text message to the phone everytime a lookup was done (e.g. "this number xxxxx has looked you up"), then that is a decent compromise.

If such protection is not in place, then the privacy laws should be amended.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are legitimate reasons for such a service, but obviously there are huge privacy concerns.

I actually thought that the owner of the phone had to accept/allow the service through a text message or something initially. Obviouslly, you could get round this problem if you have unfettered access to the phone for a short while. However, as long as the service also sent a text message to the phone everytime a lookup was done (e.g. "this number xxxxx has looked you up"), then that is a decent compromise.

If such protection is not in place, then the privacy laws should be amended.

[/ QUOTE ]

What legitimate reasons, outside of law enforcement?
Just curious.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with parents having a locator on their 10 year olds mobile phone, for example, but I do think they should be open about it.

It could potentially be used by a business to keep track of employees (through their work mobile phones).
Old 08-21-2006, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have a problem with parents having a locator on their 10 year olds mobile phone, for example, but I do think they should be open about it.

It could potentially be used by a business to keep track of employees (through their work mobile phones).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do 10 year olds have mobile phones? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Isn't it the job/responsibility of the parent to know where their kids are?
Maybe with an older teenager, but they would have to know that they will be "tracked" and only if, as acoustix pointed out, they had been caught doing something pretty bad.

Have you heard of any businesses doing this?
Yikes! I would not want to work for anyone who had so little trust in their employees.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:07 PM

Plenty of 10 year olds have mobile phones in this country. No, I don't think it's right, but it's a fact. There is also major peadophile paranioa in this country, so I think this service would be deemed useful by many parents (mostly stupid paranoid ones, but whatever).

[ QUOTE ]

Yikes! I would not want to work for anyone who had so little trust in their employees.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, neither would I, but if it is legal for employers to infringe on people's privacy in other ways (e.g. drug tests etc) then I don't see why this should be different. Obviouslly I'm saying that this should only ever be done with the express consent of the person with the phone.

A legitimate example could be a taxi service, where they want to know where the taxi's are (presumably there are better GPS solutions for this, but you get the point). In a situation where all your employees had mobile phones anyway, and you needed to know generally where they were sporadically, this could be a quick/cheap solution.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:56 AM

"So, ethical question this raised in my head... if you were wondering where your significant other goes to sometimes in the middle of the day or in the evening, would you use such a device if:"

"You were 95% sure they'd never find out?" No.

"Given the easy access to spy/surveillance stuff you have these days and its relatively low cost, do you think jealous/insecure people are the biggest market for these type of devices?" Yes.