Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 04:44 AM

Default If the senate passes the bill what are you going to do?

If the bill passes what are you going to do?

-quit school/your job and move to another country where they don't tax you on poker and you could hire live in maids for $200 a month??
- move to a border state and play across the border?
- just play B and Ms?
- Screw it keep playing?

discuss.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:52 AM

Default Re: If the senate passes the bill what are you going to do?

Moving to a different country anyways, partially in anticipation of this passing at some point.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 AM

keep playing, plus probably move to another country to run a business.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:44 AM

I thought you still had to pay taxes on it if you moved overseas. How do you get around this?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:56 AM

I might play B&M or get a job, depending on the post-bill game selection.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:30 AM

As long as there is some way for me to play online, I will still play online.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Unlike many 2+2ers, I'm just a recreational small-stakes player. For me, poker is a fun pastime that generates some extra spending money, but that's it.

Depending on exactly how the bill played out, I would lean toward quitting. The only way I would not quit is if the DOJ made it clear that they were not going to go after individual gamblers, and if I was still able to use Neteller or some other easy work-around to transfer funds.

If the feds show any interest at all in prosecuting individuals, I'm gone. Poker just isn't worth it. And I'm not going to set up a foreign bank account, which seems like a big headache, just to donk it up at Party. The cost-benefit calculation swings my decision to "find another hobby," and I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there like me who are thinking the same way.

I'd go so far as to predict that if this bill passes, it will have the greatest effect on small-stakes games. Those of you who play for higher stakes may find the games affected quite so much.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:38 AM

Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike many 2+2ers, I'm just a recreational small-stakes player. For me, poker is a fun pastime that generates some extra spending money, but that's it.

Depending on exactly how the bill played out, I would lean toward quitting. The only way I would not quit is if the DOJ made it clear that they were not going to go after individual gamblers, and if I was still able to use Neteller or some other easy work-around to transfer funds.

If the feds show any interest at all in prosecuting individuals, I'm gone. Poker just isn't worth it. And I'm not going to set up a foreign bank account, which seems like a big headache, just to donk it up at Party. The cost-benefit calculation swings my decision to "find another hobby," and I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there like me who are thinking the same way.

I'd go so far as to predict that if this bill passes, it will have the greatest effect on small-stakes games. Those of you who play for higher stakes may find the games affected quite so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am also just a small-stakes recreational player, but one who absolutely LOVES to play. I don't want another hobby, and I don't care how difficult it would be for me to set up an account in order to play. I don't care what type of work-arounds I would have to accomplish technically in order for me to access an online site, and I'm not afraid of the internet police. The only thing that would stop me from playing would be if there were no small-stakes games available for me to play.

Jan
Old 08-18-2006, 11:25 AM

very good point about the bill mostly running off small players. I think you are correct that most bigger players will not stop.

So, this bill breaks up the mean .25/.50 NL game, great, just what our country needed.