Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Identity Theft (Help?)

Has my identity been stolen? If so, what should I do? And wondering if anyone has any tips or similar experiences. I am very worried right now.

Weird Situation. I haven't checked my email in several days.

Today I receive an email canceling a reservation to a 5-star hotel in San Francisco (I'm on the east coast).

I see that I got a email 2-days ago from the hotel about a reservation (to my email adress, and with my name at a cost of $230.)

I immediately call the hotel, and speak with a supervisor and get the last 4 digits of the credit card number used. It is NOT any credit card of mine. The address and name (including middle initial not in email are mine).

All my financial stuff is in order with nothing wrong. Poker sites/credit cards/bank statements are all fine.

Now I am wondering just what the hell is going on.
Recap: What has happened
1. Reservation to hotel under my name, with my physical address.
2.NOT my credit card number
3.Financial information (poker bank roll) intact.

How worried should I be? COuld this be someone messing with me (I have no idea who would want to do this or why).

I have anti-virus software and a router. But is there a way to check for trojans. Or should I just assume the worst about all my information and nuke everything.

Thanks Much for any help
Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Identity Theft (Help?)

1) I would be very worried if this happened.

2) I would start creating a paper trail of you making a reasonable effort to alert the Police and any financial institutions that you use, so that you are not held responsible for any improper activities

3) If you have the credit card number, presumably the bank system can use this information to track down who's card it is - it is possible (likely?) that the card (maybe of an innocent bystander) may also have been compromised
Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Identity Theft (Help?)

This is very serious.

1) You need to check on your credit report immediately. I believe you can put a freeze on any new credit checks (for more credit cards in your name). I suggest signing up for one of the monthly services that informs you of any activity on your credit report.

2) You need to re-evaluate your security policies. This includes checking your computer for infections (or simply reformatting), shredding your trash, not sending info over unencrypted connections or phone lines.

3) I would scan your computer using a few different programs and then reset all of your important passwords. Bank, poker, email, everything.

Checking your credit report is the most important. I would probably nuke everything and change every password at every site that has my financial info. This may seem drastic to some but I'm a security nit.

Edit: Are you sure your spouse/friend didn't do this to surprise you or something to that effect? Just a thought I had before you go restarting your e-identity.