Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 07:50 PM

Default 10/20 live JJ

w/ JJ UTG I raise
UTG+1 3-bets (seems like fairly straightforward player preflop, would 3-bet AKs, AA, KK, maybe AKo)
Heads up to the flop

flop
K J 9 rainbow
I c/c planning to c/r a non-A turn

turn
A

whats the best line from here out?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: 10/20 live JJ

First lets assume this guy will only 3bet with QQ' or above and AK. Many live players fit this model. Now on to the hand.

I dont like your flop play at all. This is not the kind of board to slowplay. You have a strong hand but there are enough cards that may kill your hand or kill your action, that you need to check/raise this flop and take control right away. If this guy has QQ's or somehow has TT, you are letting him off the hook big time cuz if you let him stay in control he will probably check the turn and either fold the river or call the river. But if you check/raise the flop, a hand like QQ will call you down to atleast the river and he may call that street too. If this guy has a strong 2nd best hand like AK,AA on the flop you will still get plenty of action if you checkraise here, sometimes even more. I personally would checkaise this flop and cap a 3bet. I dont like waiting til the turn to make a play at any stage of this hand becuz of the high coordination of the board.

Given your flop line. What to do on the turn depends on how this guy plays. For example: If we assume this guy will always check a hand like QQ behind if you check, this means he will always have AA,KK,AK if he bets the turn. You are a 3-2 favorite against this rage. If we assume this guy will always 3bet you with a set of AA or KK but always only call you down with AK, then checkraising the turn will show a negative expectation in the long run. In this scenario, your best play is to bet/call.

If we assume this guy will 3bet your turn check/raise with AA,KK and AK, then check/raising the turn will make more money than bet/call.

If we assume that this guy will never cap the turn without a better hand than you, then bet/3bet fold to a cap will be the best line of all.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:50 PM

If your read is right, then your answer is a math problem.

FWIW, slowplaying set when the flop is all over his preflop range is pretty silly.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:10 PM

play it fast on the flop. chances are good you'll be able to cap it and possibly even get in multiple bets on the turn against a worse hand.

if you check/call and check/raise the turn, even AA will slow down.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:28 AM

thanks for the replies guys. It was my first time playing live in several months and I guess I didn't want to get my skirt dirty.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First lets assume this guy will only 3bet with QQ' or above and AK. Many live players fit this model. Now on to the hand.

I dont like your flop play at all. This is not the kind of board to slowplay. You have a strong hand but there are enough cards that may kill your hand or kill your action, that you need to check/raise this flop and take control right away. If this guy has QQ's or somehow has TT, you are letting him off the hook big time cuz if you let him stay in control he will probably check the turn and either fold the river or call the river. But if you check/raise the flop, a hand like QQ will call you down to atleast the river and he may call that street too. If this guy has a strong 2nd best hand like AK,AA on the flop you will still get plenty of action if you checkraise here, sometimes even more. I personally would checkaise this flop and cap a 3bet. I dont like waiting til the turn to make a play at any stage of this hand becuz of the high coordination of the board.

Given your flop line. What to do on the turn depends on how this guy plays. For example: If we assume this guy will always check a hand like QQ behind if you check, this means he will always have AA,KK,AK if he bets the turn. You are a 3-2 favorite against this rage. If we assume this guy will always 3bet you with a set of AA or KK but always only call you down with AK, then checkraising the turn will show a negative expectation in the long run. In this scenario, your best play is to bet/call.

If we assume this guy will 3bet your turn check/raise with AA,KK and AK, then check/raising the turn will make more money than bet/call.

If we assume that this guy will never cap the turn without a better hand than you, then bet/3bet fold to a cap will be the best line of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM

Again you got a set only thing beating you is AA is it that likely? Nope. So you check raise the flop bet the turn and river. if the player got AK then he called bad and caught up on the river you bet it the right way all the way.

EZ