Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 06:09 AM

Default Several Hands, Need line checks/critiques

Hand 1
Ok, so I'm a nlhe donk relatively new to omaha... I'd say I understand most of the basic concepts, but I'm not sure if I am semibluffing too much with hands that are not strong enough to make those moves. Anyways, here are several hands where I am unsure of what standard lines are. Any critiques would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, this hand I didnt realize he was in the BB, so I probably should've played it differently. I was 6 tabling half PLO and half PLO8, so thats probably not the best idea. Anyways, is the turn raise suicide?

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($12, 6 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $13.3</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($38.6, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $38.6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $154.4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in $104.17</font>.
Uncalled bets: $11.63 returned to Hero.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($324.14, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $324.14)

Results:
Final pot: $324.14
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows 2d 8h Ah 4c </font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB shows 8c 3h Qd 5c </font>

Hand 2
Ok, in hindsight he basically flipped up his hand... I called the turn with the intention of trying to keep the pot small in case i hit a spade or 8 on the river, then promptly changed my mind for no reason.

Party Poker
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is MP1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($10, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $9.5</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($29, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2</font>, Hero calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($33, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $19.24</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $89.07</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $158.9</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $93.43</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in $0.82</font>.
Uncalled bets: $22.78 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $352.44
<font color="#ffffff">BB shows 6c 5c 6h Kh </font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows 2s 8c 8s Ac </font>

Hand 3
Standard?

Party Poker
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($8, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $7.6</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($30.8, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $29.3</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($89.4, 2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks.

Results:
Final pot: $89.4
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows Kc 2h Qs Ac </font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB shows 3d Jd Js 4c </font>

Hand 4
First instinct was to c/r turn, but I'm not sure if I would have any FE (or do i need any). I think c/calling basically ruins any chance of getting paid on the river if I hit, but I could be wrong. Also, what range do you put villain on, and how often will people bluff in this spot? I've found so far that very few people seem to river bluff, as I have tried bluff catching a few times and I always seem to be wrong.

Party Poker
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($14, 7 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $13.3</font>, 3 folds, CO calls, 2 folds.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($40.6, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $38.6</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($117.8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $114.8</font>, CO folds.
Uncalled bets: $114.8 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $117.8

Thanks again for any advice.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Several Hands, Need line checks/critiques

Hand 1 - Raise or fold on the flop. Since Villain is in the BB, he's less likely to have J8 or JJ, so I would raise it here and fold to a reraise.

Hand 2 - Your flop bet worked out OK with everyone folding behind, but now that you have a caller, it's time to shut it down. Villain's minbet on the turn would make me pretty scared of 66 and possibly QQ. I would not raise the river under any circumstance as you only get reraised by better hands, and make everyone else fold.

Hand #3 I would not be betting this flop OOP. Check the turn.
Hand #4 Looks good to me. In hindsight, a smaller value bet on the river might have served you better.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 AM

Second hand: Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is MP1 with 2 8 8 A
That hand is an easy much from most positions, especially MP1.

In the third hand you are trapping yourself just betting top and bottom pair, which is essentially a pure bluff. The turn bet I dont like since the draw you picked up wasn't so sweet that you needed to commit yourself so much.

On the last hand I am not sure that I love the turn call. Without any sort of read it seems you are probably behind on this, and the hand just went from 13 dollars invested to 40 dollars invested, without that sweet of a draw or huge implied odds. I also don't love potting the river, since any of the possible hands he holds is going to have real trouble calling your nuts. Although I understand the case for a move like this in a meta-game sense. Personally I think you are making the fold too easy for the majority of his range because if he has a straight, he thinks the river probably just made it a split-pot at best. If he has anything less he has to put you on at least a straight.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:26 AM

Hand 1: min-raise on the flop to define your hand but with him going for broke on the turn I'd throw it away as you drawing to an ace to give the better full and your flush draw is useless with any pair on the board

Hand 2: Dont raise on the river. Players like to play a flopped quads very slow and you should be keeping the pot small on the river, just call his first bet as the only hands that'll call your raise are the ones that have to beat

Hand 3: Seems standard to me

Hand 4: I personally would have raised or check raised the turn depending on the opponents style of play. If you raise the turn and play weak on the river you could get paided off if hes v.aggressive player, however most PLO players tend to be passive and may pay off a smaller bet on the river to see whats going on. The check/call gives your hand away IMO
Old 08-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Hand 1. With the ace kicker, I raise the flop to find out where I'm at. As played I usually fold the turn. Two pot sized bets usually means a boat, and you've only got one overcard.

Hand 2. I wouldn't bet this flop with that many players in the pot. Even though the bet is tiny I'll probably fold the turn. Ace high flush draw, I'll call, but have to fold to anything other than a miniscule bet on the river even if I hit.

Hand 3. First to act, I'll usually check this flop, although it's a marginal decision, since you do have a couple of weak redraws.

Hand 4. I don't always lead out at this flop. It's a great drawing hand but there are five players left to act behind you &amp; you're out of position. It depends a lot on the table atmosphere.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:27 PM

Stack sizes are important.

1 - I like a flop raise here. This is a good place to use your position. Your opponent is in the BB and could have any 8. You have an A. Put the pressure on him. A lot of times, he will be forced to fold a 6-9 outer on the turn. Also, you can check the river if you want to.

2 - Unfortunate. Once you get there like that, it's tough not to lose your stack, but the advice from the other posts about it is good.

3 - I'd play it the same.

4 - Betting the turn is good too.