Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Default The Best Foods and Gambling

Functional foods are those foods found by research to prevent or fight disease. This is the first generation with this knowlege. When I turned out as a young gambler, the major cardinal rule was: Do not take the worst of it.

With foods, we can play the percentages, just like gambling.

I put food in groups and try to eat from each power food group day. By the same token, I avoid sugar, red meats, white things, etc.

Many of the best power, miracle foods have been thought by folk wisdom to have healing powers for thousands of years.
There is a "best" as grape juice has three times the anti-oxident power of orange juice. Think anti-oxidents and Omega 3.

Beverages: Grape juice, green tea, coffee in moderation. Put cinnamon in tea and coffee.

Peppers, etc. Red peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, onions.

Purples, Reds. Grape juice, tomatoes, red peppers, watermelon.

Cal vegetables: Cauliflower, broccili, brussel sprouts, cabbage.

Nuts: Walnuts (best at Omega 3}, almonds, peanuts, pecan. Every day.

Dark green: broccoli, spinach

Yellow, orange: oranges, squash, etc.

Oatmeal: a miracle food, anti-histamine, cleans out
cholesterol, the cause of much evil.

Yogurt: varied products.

Fish: Salmon, tuna, ocean fish, catfish, less effective.

Grains: Dark bread, wheat, rye.

Fruits: all fruits.

Each time you eat or drink, you take the worst of it or the best of it, just like gambling. You are sure I am right, aren't you?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: The Best Foods and Gambling

Johnny, this is very true! Good poker players will give their best to maximize value, but don't care what they eat.

Eat healthy, and you will feel better and be happier.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are sure I am right, aren't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, that's an odd question. If you don't eat ANY red meat for health reasons, you are way off.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:25 AM

I wish I always followed this list but I do not. I eat "some" red meat on occasion. And I'll admit I have a weakness for free sugar. When they are giving away cookies or candy, I sometimes play like a sucker.

It's not hard to follow this color coordinated plan at cafeterias or Las Vegas buffets based on your will power. I try to eat moderately before I go to a poker game. It seems that if I get stressed and hungry at the poker, I will eat the wrong foods which are available.

I forgot Silk Light Soy Milk. I do not eat eggs, diary products, except yogurt. I have rarely tasted milk in many years. I have not had any alcohol in ten years. That's more a behavior and law enforcement issue than a health issue. My Doctor just told me that grape juice was as good or better than any wine for the heart. Oatmeal, grape juice, walnuts, hot peppers, cinnamon, and green tea are super miracle foods, fantastic.

I call eating this way "the System". It gives you a great psychological boost to know you are on the system. A poker player's earning power depends on the health and feelings of that player. It is like you were a factory or a machine that requires constant correct maintenance. Feel good. Play good. You can think of times you were on or off your game and assign cause and effect. Young people are hardy and can eat almost anything. They don't realize the impact of diet and stress on their behavior.

When I taught college, I knew that when finals came, many of the students would come down with a cold. Stress lowers the immune system. I also found that students did not assign cause and effect. Power foods, especially yogurt, boosts the immune system.

Most young people are unaware of the long-range effect of their life style on their ability to function. When I was young and ran poker games all night, we'd run to the convenience store for sweet rolls which we had with a breakfast beer. If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken a lot better care of my body.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 AM

I believe the heart health benefits of red wine comes from the chemical contained called resveritrol, which I don't think grape juice has. Nutrition does 100% affect everything about you, including your clarity of mind etc.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Red meat is good for you unless you eat it uncontrolably.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the heart health benefits of red wine comes from the chemical contained called resveritrol, which I don't think grape juice has. Nutrition does 100% affect everything about you, including your clarity of mind etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's closer to 400%