Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 04:56 PM

Default If I read NLHT&P, should I still read TOP?

I've flipped through TOP and it just always seems like a pain to read, and has games I'm not interested in - Limit, Razz, etc...

Does No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice get me what I need to know? Or more specifically, what is in TOP that I would be missing?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: If I read NLHT&P, should I still read TOP?

read theory of poker, then read it again...then read NLHFAP, then read Small Stakes Hold Em for Advanced Players, then read Dan Harrington's books, then read TJ Cloutier's books, then read Super System, then Phychology of Poker, then read them all again, then read theory of poker again.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
read theory of poker, then read it again...then read NLHFAP, then read Small Stakes Hold Em for Advanced Players, then read Dan Harrington's books, then read TJ Cloutier's books, then read Super System, then Phychology of Poker, then read them all again, then read theory of poker again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read HOH 1 & 2.
I haven't heard anything good about Cloutier's book.
Isn't Small Stakes primarily a limit book?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 PM

primarily limits but the concepts still translate to overall strategies for hold em
Old 08-07-2006, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then read TJ Cloutier's books

[/ QUOTE ]

I implore you not to do this, his book put my game back a couple of months single handedly.

If you can understand everything in NLTAP fully without looking at TOP first, then i think it's fine to do it in that order. TOP is full of absolute gems hidden amongst high lo london razzball games though, an absolute must to read.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:16 PM

I assume that other post was a joke. I have read both books in the last couple weeks. I started with NLHTOP and then read TOP. If I were to do it again I would prolly do it the other way around so that I can understand the concepts of TOP under the lens of NL in NLHTOP. If you don't want to read the book then don't. You can learn basically everythign you need to know from these forums. Just go into the FAQ and read the poobah posts and then find the fimulwinter list and read that.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want to read the book then don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very wise Mr. Miyogi. I think this is what it comes down to. Everytime I pick that book off the shelf and flip through it, I just don't want to read it for some reason.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM

you should be trying to absorb knowledge from as many different sources as you can, especially from world class players such as TJ Cloutier and if you just refuse to read TOP than you are going to be average at best at the levels of the game that are most important. i am repeating this from the two plus two magazine article but if you dont take a systematic an serious approach to learning the game of poker you will never achieve the level of play you need to be a long term winner. you should be like a sponge when it comes to reading books and collecting information about poker
Old 08-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Buk,

Do yourself a huge favor and read them both. You will immediately be able to identify the sections of TOP (HINT: there are several) that are most relevant to NL Hold 'em.

As for which on to read first, NLT&P assumes that you either have read TOP or at least grasp its basic concepts.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want to read the book then don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very wise Mr. Miyogi. I think this is what it comes down to. Everytime I pick that book off the shelf and flip through it, I just don't want to read it for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same way. There are other ways to compensate though. Just study hard and think about hands.