Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Blockbuster Fantasy Baseball Trade

In a 10-team keeper money 5X5 roto league, I just gave Liriano, Utley, and Chipper for Wright, Figgins, and Smoltz.

Context is I'm leading the league, needed steals and offense in general, and have Santana/Felix/Verlander/Contreras at SP and plenty of closers, so I have the pitching categories mostly sewn up, and look good from a keeper perspective as well, so losing Liriano won't kill me there, got Smoltz to ease the loss.

My offense gets better than it looks on the surface, and gains a LOAD of steals, because Upton was blocked in my lineup by Utley, so I add Wright, Figgins, and Upton and subtract Utley and two waiver guys. Chipper was an extra really - I wouldn't even have a place for Chipper to play when he gets back since I'm getting Wright. This trade improved my offense enough without losing a drastic amount of pitching that I will probably sew up the league championship for this year.

I prefer Wright to Utley from a keeper perspective, but not by a lot. I considered Wright the best player in the deal which is what tipped the scales for me. Figgins is a solid keeper but he is what he is; the future success of Liriano is the key.

Obviously I seriously took it in the ass here if Liriano turns into another Santana, but King Felix dominated last year and the sailing hasn't been as smooth this year...also, Liriano is gonna miss tomorrow's start with elbow discomfort, and that made me a little nervous too, considering they're in the heat of a pennant race...

How do you guys think I did here?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Blockbuster Fantasy Baseball Trade

I think you could have gotten more.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

from a pure value perspective, this deal is fairly even. if it pushes you closer to a championship, you did well.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:24 AM

2 Big downgrades for 1 big upgrade? Me no likey.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 Big downgrades for 1 big upgrade? Me no likey.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is really a mistake to classify the changes this way.

wright is probably the second or third best player, overall, to own in a keeper league. he replaces a guy who will likely be out for the better part of the remaining season. this isn't just a big upgrade, it's a massive, huge one.

liriano to smoltz is a big downgrade, especially in a keeper league, but it lessens (for this year) when you consider that liriano is currently hurt and that he will be shut down before the end of the season if the twins fall out of the race, which is not that unlikely. missing just two or three starts is a significant factor to consider this late in the year.

utley to figgins is likewise a big downgrade, but it helps balance out the team to win this year's title, which should be your primary goal in any trade. still, neither of the downgrades by themselves are anywhere near as big as the improvement of an injured chipper to david wright.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:30 PM

I like this mostly because liriano and chipper are both hurt.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:20 PM

Liriano is only out for one start so please stop acting like hes dead or something.

Wright is top 5 in a keeper yes, and this is where you get the big swing but i still dont think its worth it. Utley absolutely kills Figgins, who will hurt you in everything but SBs and runs. I think thats a big dropoff and in a keeper going from Liriano to Smoltz is a huge drop off. I just dont think its worth it imo.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Liriano is only out for one start so please stop acting like hes dead or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

i may have a bias from listening to the cubs say that mark prior is going to miss "one start" at the beginning of every year, but it is wrong to just assume he will be back in the rotation for his next turn, especially since there is no way the twins are going to jeopardize his future by putting him out there if he is not 100%.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:11 PM

How many keepers (ie. can you keep Santana, Felix, Verlander, Wright, Figgins, and any other big players you have)?

If you were able to pull the deal with Felix instead of Liriano I'd love it. I think it's fine, especially if it will definitively help you win this year.

-SonnyJay
Old 08-02-2006, 05:51 PM

WTF? How in the world does Liriano deserve a comparison to Prior. Yes of course i know some people who miss one start and hurt badly, but i dont think this is the case at all here. Lirianos manager said if it was septemeber he would be playing. Could he have been lying? Sure. Nothing he requires a Prior comparison however.