Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Members Post.. What have I learned?

100 post, not that exciting, not that important.

The question is what have I learned in my 100 posts?

The answer? A ton, but not nearly enough.

I’ve learned that having an Ace in your hand does not mean bet. I’ve learned that winning the most pots is not the same as winning the most money. I’ve learned that TPTK =\= AI. I’ve learned bankroll management. I’ve learned that Tight is Right is so not right (all the time). I’ve learned that AK is not a drawing hand, and that AA is not an automatic winner. I’ve learned that losing an AI push does not mean you shouldn’t have pushed. As such, I’ve learned to become less results orientated (I said <u>less</u>). I’ve learned what vpip, pfr%, and Aggression factor mean (and thus bought PokerTracker). I’ve learned that losing multiple buy-ins in a row does not mean you played badly and conversely, winning multiple times in a row does not mean you are playing perfectly.

I’ve learned all that, and much more. However, no matter how much I learn, there are two things I can always count on. Poker is a game that nobody will ever master &amp; 2p2 is where it’s at for people who want to try.

Tried to keep it short and sweet, but I figured being a full fledged “Member” deserved something, so I decided to post in the forum where I got started. Let's keep this going.. What have you learned that you wish to share? Keep in mind this is the beginner's forum, so you are probably not talking to poker pros here (yet).
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Members Post.. What have I learned?

Good post, Rook. Congratulations on you progress and good luck.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 AM

Great post!

Looks like you've learned a lot.
Hopefully I'll catch up by my 300th post!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 AM

The most important thing that I've learned, is that the people talking about POkerTracker weren't lying, it's worth every penny and more. I can't believe I waited so long to get it, and add ons like PaHud and SpadeEye. If you ever plan on making money, invest in POkertracker first. It's never too soon to do it. The others will pay for themselves soon enough.

Also some recent things I've learned.
If a player is betting out on every street and a scare card comes out on the river, and he checks, you'll pick up the pot almost all the time with a decent sized bet. That's just something I've been doing recently, and it's very profitable.....so far.
Always keep an eye on everyones stack size, there's no point in hands like 6h7h against players who don't have enough money to pay you off.
Look for tables where nobody (or very few) raises pre-flop and grind out money there. It's easy to pick up blinds. Be prepared to fold to any raise though.
Always have a bonus, or rakeback pending, even if you think you won't get the full amount. Free money is better than no free money.
If I think of anything else, I'll post again.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:06 PM

congrats, hopefully I will have learned as much as you have by my 100th post