Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Couple Weirdish Hands from a Foxwoods Session

Game is Foxwoods 1/2NL, live, $100 max buy in. I've been so card dead I want to throwup on the table. I've managed to win a few pots with one suckout and a couple good reads.

The villain is the same in both hands. He's a foreign guy, mid twenties, seems to have some idea what he's doing. He's been sitting for about an hour and is up to about 250 after flopping a set and getting paid off. A lot of players get out of line at this game, he's not one of them. I haven't seen him ge tto showdown without the goods, but again, small sample size. Despite all this, I don't get the impression that he's all that good.

FIRST HAND

Hero has $135, villain covers.

Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and opens the pot to 12.

Folds to the SB, this annoying loose-passive asian woman who calls. Villain looks at my stack and goes "how much you have left"? I look down and say "around 110" and he goes "okay, 110 more." I show AQ to the left side of the table and fold. Standard?

NEXT HAND

This is a loose-passivey table, so while I know some will say to fold preflop, a combination of being frustrated with my crappy cards and the knowledge that I'd likely get in cheap to a multiway pot governed my preflop play.

Hero has 120, villain (same villain) covers. Hero holds A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Two limpers to hero in MP, who calls. Two more callers, villain limps in on button, SB completse, BB checks.

Flop ($16): A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Four checks to hero, hero checks, check, check, check.

I'm not opposed to advice to bet the flop, but if you're going to give such advice, please explain your thinking, and account for the weakness of my kicker versus the field in a loose-passive table.

Turn ($16): 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checks to hero who bets $15. Folds to annoying asian woman who calls, then Villain who shrugs then calls.

River ($61): 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Okay. What now? Thing is, in the back of my mind I was thinking turned flush draw for at least one of them. Still, one pair hands and smaller two pairs seems perfectly reasonable. I didnt know what to do, so I bet $25. Asian woman folds. Villain raises to $60.

Thoughts on all streets appreciated.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Couple Weirdish Hands from a Foxwoods Session

Hand 1: I hate it too, but I think your fold is fine. I think your realistic best-case scenario is that he's got some pocket pair, and you're a slight dog to even 22.

Hand 2: I don't mind the flop check. Does villain seem like a good player to you? His shrug is probably him trying to feign disinterest in the hand. I think it's likely that he has an ace, but this probably means you're ahead.

On the river, I would call his bet. It's not a big enough bet where I feel OK folding. If he's got the flush or just hit two pair with an A8, just pay him off.

Oh, and if it's a loose-passive table, I like a limp preflop with a suited ace because I think you're getting your flushes paid off.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:41 PM

Hand 1: AQ. Depends if you want to gambol. I think villan has a pp (99+) and you are racing against most of his hand range. You'd think that he would just make a standard raise with KK/AA. He might have AK which would suck balls. I think the fold is fine.

Hand 2: Ugly. I think with 2 other opponents, c/c-ing is best. One seems to be drawing to the flush. As played, I think a fold is goot.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Hand 1- Good fold to the pf r/r, but I wouldn't show the cards.

Hand 2 - Check/call a reasonable amount at the river. You basically beat a bluff by someone representing the flush who doesn't actually have it. As played, given your read, you can fold to the [ QUOTE ]
Villain who shrugs

[/ QUOTE ] on the turn then raises at the river. He's only shown down the goods all night, so why would this hand be any different?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:34 PM

Hand #1 - Fold is fine even though some of these Foxwoods donks are willing to go to the felt with AJ and worse. I think best case scenario here is you are racing for stacks, and worst case he has AK. I really doubt he would make this play with QQ or better, but who knows?

Hand #2 - I would advocate betting the flop here some of the time at least because loose passives don't require top pair to call you. A check is fine though. River seems like a pretty clear fold to me. Looks like he backed in to a flush.