Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM

Default AKo vs donk

one of my first 10 hands at the table, villain is 43/18/6 over 56 hands (datamining).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($188.30)
BB ($232.87)
UTG ($212.98)
MP ($232.15)
Hero ($209.43)
Button ($200.30)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls $10.

Flop: ($31) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $20</font>, Hero ?

i thoght about floating (to rep a big pair on the turn), raising here to rep the big pair and possibly cost myself less money if he comes over the top, or folding. all seemd like valid options. with no read, which do you think is best? and why
Old 07-31-2006, 05:32 PM

Default Re: AKo vs donk

It might be just me but in my experience, a GREAT deal of time this is QQ on the opponent. At least some pair. Often when it's played this way preflop, they'll check fold flop. But here he made a rather substantial bet into you and I think that's an overpair he doesn't want to lay down.

So it all comes down to whether you think he can lay down TT-QQ on this board and then evaluate whether you can push him off the hand, but there always exists a possibility that he just called with something like AA/KK and then you'd really be dead and judging from the looseness of the player, he probably couldn't lay down something like QQ (then again, the sample is quite small).

So I'd fold.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:36 PM

Look at that aggression; he either has a medium PP, or two high ones like you.

I'd make it $80. If he has the balls to stick around with 66-99, then grats to him, let's get our ACE on the turn and double up.

If he comes back over the top on you, then I guess you have to put him on a set (or possibly 55, which we hate), and re-evalute.

EDIT: For some reason, I'm not smelling a high PP here.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:37 PM

Fold. B/c you don't have a read. Villain likely has a pp, giving you 10 outs max. At best Villain has Ax, giving you 3 clean outs.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thoght about floating (to rep a big pair on the turn), raising here to rep the big pair and possibly cost myself less money if he comes over the top, or folding. all seemd like valid options. with no read, which do you think is best? and why

[/ QUOTE ]

They are all good options, and I think each one should be used with some frequency. So the question you should be asking isn't "which is best?" so much as it is "what's the best frequency?"

To answer that, I suppose it depends on your image. If your reraise range is seen as big, I'd be more inclined to something like:

-Fold: 40%
-Float: 50%
-Raise: 10%

while with a tight reraise range, it would be more like:

-Fold: 10%
-Float: 40%
-Raise: 50%

In the second case, the float and raise percentage will again vary on how you play your overpairs on flops like these. If you just about always raise your overpairs on this board, then maybe float: 30% and raise: 60%.

In a bubble, I'd tend toward floating, as you do have, in all probability, 10 outs, and maybe 4 you'd be willing to bluff with (the Qs).

EDIT: By the way, when I talk about floating, I'm assuming you'll attempt a steal if Villain checks the turn to you.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:40 PM

Generally just fold, but you can certainly float this sometimes. I guess you could raise if it fits into the rest of your game, but I would usually just call here with overpairs and sets/straights so I'm much more prone to float.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:56 PM

Fold.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:21 PM

*grunch

I would say that raising the flop to represent a big pair with the intention of folding to a reraise, is probably a bad play vs this guy. The reason is that you will be more or less pot committed with possibly 10 outs. Also, he might be semi bluffing a big Ace himself, so you could be folding the best hand.

Lets examine the 2 scenarios:

A) Flat calling.

The pot on the turn will be $90, you will have 175 left in your stack. If villain makes a sizeable bet (say 70), you won't have that much fold equity since he will be getting over 2-1 to call your push. In that short sample, he does not look overly tight. If you had a good read on him, you might be able to get more info on the size of his turn bet (or the absence of a bet).

B. Raise flop with the intention of calling villain's push.

If villain is betting a small pair to "find out", well he will be in a tough spot. If he has a weaker Ace, he his in a really bad shape but might figure he has a chance to move you off your pair. Or he might feel pot committed and push.

I am not sure which is best, I am tempted to use our postional advantage and flat call, but know so little about villain's tendencies that I am worried that I'll make a mistake later in the hand. So I think I would prefer raising now.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 PM

I'd fold.