Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 09:01 AM

Default aces 30/60

Haven't played much stud lately.

Villain is unknown, I couldn't put him on anything.

7 Card Stud High ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.67 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.83 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (6.83 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (10.83 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___?

Total pot: (10.83 BB)
Old 07-30-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Re: aces 30/60

Hand looks fine.. AS for the river i got for a check raise almost every time
Old 07-30-2006, 10:05 AM

I have not been at 30/60 very much, but the new "in thing" at the tables seems to be bluff raising with an incomplete straight. Trip jacks also make sense.

If I can't put a guy on a hand with a lot of certainty, then I would bet the river. Too many people show all kinds of aggression on the earlier streets and then go totally limp on the river. So I would bet out and give myself the shot at extracting at least one more bet. Hopefully he caught big enough to raise you again.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:28 PM

I would bet out with the idea that that is the best way to get in three bets. The other guy does seem to like his hand. I wouldn't worry about it getting checked behind if we do go for the check-raise.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:33 PM

What do you think about my bet out on 6th, as opposed to checkraising there?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't put him on anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me it looks like he was playing (JT)T, possibly with the Jh, hence his call on 3rd and 4th streets and a raise on 5th. I think his raise on 6th was meant to represent the straight.

I think after he raised 5th and you hitting As up on 6th, I might have tried a check-raise on 6th, with the idea in mind that if he just checked behind you, you would learn how weak he was; if he bet and then just called or folded to your raise you would learn how weak he was; or if he bet and then re-raised you would find out how strong he was. Played your way by betting and calling his raise, I don't think you really learn anything about his hand.

As far as the river goes, given the way the hand was played up to that point, I'd be betting out on the river. I cannot imagine he would ever fold to a bet unless he was totally bluffing the whole way, and I think he might even try another raise if he actually has trips or better.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:12 PM

I like the idea of checkraising as far as just getting 2 bets in. I'm not sure about finding out how strong he is; at this point the information is less useful than getting value from what I would think would be the best hand. I mean, if he 3 bets do you think I should fold? If he checks behind what does the information do for me?

That said checkraise seems more natural than the bet out here, I agree.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, if he 3 bets do you think I should fold? If he checks behind what does the information do for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, if he 3 bets a check-raise on 6th it indicates he has the straight. And no I don't think you fold here, but it makes it easier to fold the river if you don't improve, and gives you a better check-raise option on the river if you do improve.

If he were to check behind you on 6th street, I would have to believe it means that you have him beat right then and you don't have to worry so much about what to do on the river if you don't improve.

Of course these are all moot points, since I'm sure you crushed him. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2006, 03:48 PM

Sorry, think I missed your point the first time through. The checkraise may indeed make the river easier to play.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:04 AM

I can't see someone raising on 7th here. He has been bet into on 5th and 6th and raised there. He must give credit for a hand and just call on 7th.

Also, what did you put him on on 5th when he raised?