Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 04:06 PM

Default WSOP day 1A Shortstack

Hi all:

I am left with about $16K in chips after day 1.

Next level blinds are 300-600 with an ante of 75. Each level lasts 2 hours.

I figure I need to make a move in this level. Any advice/tips greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: WSOP day 1A Shortstack

Push preflop.Sorry,some jerk had to be the first one to say it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2006, 04:10 PM

Just wait for a good hand and play it strongly. You still have an M over 10 so there's no need to go crazy yet.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:13 PM

You've got lots of play left. Don't do anything rash.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:31 PM

where you been bro? been a while since i last saw you post. and how come you are asking such a silly question, i remember back when you use to dominate online MTT's. good luck.

edit: what i meant to say im not sure what we can tell you here. as i know how well you play mtts.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:40 PM

thats about where I was on day 2 last yr.

Plenty of time. You wanna see who's at ur table and what they're doing. As likely as not u'll have a big stack (or 2) trying to lag it up; if so, a good spot is to wait for a premium hand to repop them for everything PF. If theyre tight enuf behind you, steal some blinds to grow ur stack without too much risk.

Hopefully I'll be that big stack at ur table [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ...in which case you can let me suck out.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:14 PM

Your stack size is good for restealing.

You have 26xBB and more than half average, so you are not that short stacked.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:16 PM

You've got lots of play left. You can't play speculative hands, which means you're not calling with pairs or suited connectors against pre-flop raises. You have an awkward stack for re-stealing with air so that's probably not the best option at this point. But you certainly have a big enough stack to steal blinds in the right situation.

Basically, you're good enough (you're not posting any longer ! but I certainly remember you and I "coming up" together and both winning an entry into the St. Marteen tournament) that you can EASILY pull this off. Don't get cute. Don't get desperate. I think the biggest danger that those who primarily play online have is that they forget how deep these types of tournaments are. Forget about average stack. Sure, you're smaller than the average but that means nothing at this point.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got lots of play left. You can't play speculative hands, which means you're not calling with pairs or suited connectors against pre-flop raises. You have an awkward stack for re-stealing with air so that's probably not the best option at this point. But you certainly have a big enough stack to steal blinds in the right situation.

Basically, you're good enough (you're not posting any longer ! but I certainly remember you and I "coming up" together and both winning an entry into the St. Marteen tournament) that you can EASILY pull this off. Don't get cute. Don't get desperate. I think the biggest danger that those who primarily play online have is that they forget how deep these types of tournaments are. Forget about average stack. Sure, you're smaller than the average but that means nothing at this point.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a good stack size for semibluff resteals. You need close to this for good FE.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:39 PM

don't sweat it. in 2004 i ended day one w/ 9700 and had 73k at the end of day 2. you'll be fine, just be patient.