Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Is poker really beatable?

I've been reviewing my poker losses for the past year and am now really wondering if poker is actually a beatable game. I realize that everyone in this forum is going to tell me it is, but now I'm not so sure.

My total losses for the past year--$20,000--being donated mainly at the 2(3)/5 NLHE tables here in Vegas. It's not that I'm completely ignorant on poker concepts either---I've read just about every book on poker available. Some of the better books (TOP, NLHE:T&P, The HOH trilogy, HEPFAP, PLNLP, SS2) I've read multiple times. In fact before I started playing seriously, I spent 1 1/2 years studying the poker literature. After I felt I understood the concepts in general I started playing. I've had some occassional big wins here and there, but over all, I'm obviously a huge loser at the game.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong. The thought has crossed my mind that maybe the game isn't actually beatable after all. Maybe those who are winners are actually just a lot more fortunate than I.

I guess the point of all my ramblings is to ask....how bad can a player run and still be considered a winning player? Has any other winning player out there run this poorly?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Is poker really beatable?

for you, maybe not

how many hands do you think youve played in total? its possible for a great player to run breakeven for 100k hands
Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 PM

and at B&M this could be a lot of time = less hands
Old 06-26-2006, 11:50 PM

Have you tried playing the 1/3 or 1/2 games, or does the money just not excite you.

Also, take a look at your big losses. You might be a winning/breakeven player when you are playing well but when you play badly you might play reaaaaally badly, if that makes any sense.

When you are off your A-game you could be losing lots of money. Do you usually leave after losing 500? 1000? 2000? Are you counting pit losses in this figure too? Do you drink and play?

There will probably be a lot of sarcastic replies, but I assumed you knew that when you posted here.
GL
Old 06-26-2006, 11:54 PM

30 hands/hour average....about 40 hours a week....for a over 80 weeks.....that's a bit shy of 100K hands not including my occasional stints playing online.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:59 PM

You know six sigma boy from tiltboys?

For everyone on the right of that graph, there's gotta be someone on the left of it. Sorry it's gotta be you.

- C -
Old 06-27-2006, 12:03 AM

I play 1/2 as well. I've also occassionally played 5/10. I don't believe I tilt very much, but maybe I don't realize when I do. My approach is very tight and disciplined (which may be part of my problem--since I want around for good cards, I usually only win small pots, but lose big pots--the opposite of what should be occurring).

I don't have any stop/loss standards...I leave when I don't feel like playing anymore or I have to go somewhere, etc...
Drink and play?? no way! I'm not that crazy. I'm cons
Old 06-27-2006, 12:05 AM

not sure why you are losing, try analysing your hands and see where your losses come from then learn from your mistakes. I guess you could just be getting really unlucky though. Or you might be playing badly because you are losing.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:09 AM

Every poker book in the world makes assumptions about what type of game you are playing in and what your opponents will play like. But none of those books assume you're playing modern 2/5 NL live.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:14 AM

how do I learn how to play 2/5 live then?