Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Default NL100 JJ facing 12xbb raise from multitabling set miner

This guy was the [censored] bane of my existence at the tables last week. He may be a 2p2er but I don't know. He had pretty typical set miner stats, although he seemed to loosen up a bit after this hand happened. I think he was at about 16/6 during this hand, and since I have him at 22/6.9 over 600+ hands. He was at 3 of my tables during the session so he probably had some kind of read on my play (I was playing fairly lag and very aggro postflop).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Button ($147.70)
Hero ($108.25)
BB ($98.50)
UTG ($125.45)
UTG+1 ($40)
MP1 ($99)
MP2 ($263.50)
MP3 ($20.35)
CO ($80)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero...

I hadn't seen him open for this much yet, but he was opening for more than the standard 3-4x+1bb formula normally.

I see arguments for folding, calling, and reraising preflop. What are my lines for various situations postflop for calling or raising?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: NL100 JJ facing 12xbb raise from multitabling set miner

im so confused and find will find this difficult to play post flop unless i hit a set that i think i have to fold [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2006, 10:22 AM

what was UTG+1like? Is MP2 trying something cute vs him?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:23 AM

Wow, WTF. This guy's insane! This is a horrible preflop situation to be in...is 12x the BB around his normal raise size preflop?? It's tough to say what to do here exactly.

Folding preflop sounds ok IMO...calling for set value is most likely a -EV play (someone correct me if I am wrong). Plus, OOP in the SB....yuck. If you just call you'd have to spike a J most likely to continue in the hand. If you do end up flat calling and hit that J I'd slowplay the hell out of it and let this guy bet for you.

You could also re-raise here but any respectable re-raise will put 1/3, even almost half your stack, in the middle before the flop hits, so if you re-raise you're going to start feeling pot commited to the hand.

I'd love to hear some comments about this hand as well, because this is NOT a good situation to be in overall.

** If you had position on this guy I'd probably call even though it might be -EV...