Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 12:39 AM

Default 99 coldcap

Button in this hand is a LAGtard NonFolder McNonFoldysmith - 62/19/40WTSD through several thousand hands. He is a LAG preflop but tends to turn passive postflop and call down with any pair or any type of draw. I was utterly shocked when he gave it up on the flop.

SB is a TAG - straightforward, tight, decent winner in my database. Doesn't get out of line much, though he might be a bit on the passive side - 22/14/31.

How's my line? Anyone play differently without a club in my hand?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 07-18-2006, 02:53 AM

Default Re: 99 coldcap

I'd play post-flop the same as you did, even without a club. The only thing I'm not sure about is PF: I'm wondering if there's more merit in just calling and raising good flops. The button doesn't seem the type to fold for two more, so the trade-off between sacrificing pre-flop equity for pot control and the ability to push a better post-flop edge seems worthwhile to me.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd play post-flop the same as you did, even without a club. The only thing I'm not sure about is PF: I'm wondering if there's more merit in just calling and raising good flops. The button doesn't seem the type to fold for two more, so the trade-off between sacrificing pre-flop equity for pot control and the ability to push a better post-flop edge seems worthwhile to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts also..
Old 07-18-2006, 06:23 AM

I like facing BT with another two preflop rather than on the flop. Chances are he has 1 oc type of hands and he will be more likely to make a big mistake with these hands preflop but not on the flop.
I think we should b/f the river (to fold TT, JJ). This guy does not look like he bluff-raises us.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 AM

I would also be inclined to call preflop and raise most flops (e.g. non ace with only one overcard).
Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Call the 3-bet pre flop.

Bet/fold the river.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 PM

I play every street the same, regardless of whether I have a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM

CC pf raise any flop
Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 PM

Preflop: I would rather just call. There's no chance of the LAG folding and the SB's 3bet is signalling to you that he has a pretty decent hand, even accounting for the fact that he has probably loosened his 3betting standards somewhat against this player. Keeping the pot smaller also gives you a somewhat better chance of getting overcards to fold later in the hand.

Flop: Considering how you played it preflop I think a bet is good.

Turn: Again I like it. A Q may have raised on the flop, and this hand is easy to get away from if the pot gets raised.

River: I like this as well. If SB is calling you down with a club draw, then he's not going to call a bet. If SB is being passive with a strong hand he's not going to fold. EDIT: and if he caught a pair of kings he is going to check/call here.

Just my opinion...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 PM

In the moment I would check behind too, because I hate that king. But now that I think about it further, does that king give us bluff equity?

What are the odds SB has TT/JJ here?

I think his range is something like: 4c4x,6c6x,88,99,TT,JJ,AxKc,AcKx,AxJc,AcJx,AcTx,AxT c,Ac9x,A7s,KcJx. I'm assuming he basically never has an overpair or a queen here. (I wonder if we should discount AcX hands also, because usually that hand would at least put one more bet in on the flop.) Anyway, I count about ~30 hands we beat that will almost certainly fold, about ~12 kings that won't fold, and 12 combos of TT/JJ.

What are the odds that he could find a fold to a river bet with TT/JJ?

Ok, this one I have no idea. But someone could do the math to figure out how often he needs to fold these hands for a river bet to be +EV. If we bet and he calls with some Kc hand that hit, we lose 1BB, but if he would have folded TT/JJ, we lose a 9BB pot. If I am SB, I'm assuming your range is TT+/AQ+, so I'd like to think if were him and I had TT I could find a fold here. (And maybe JJ too? Would be a bad fold?). Still if he only folds TT - 25% of his holdings that beat us - and calls with JJ/Kx, 75%, then the river bet is profitable, isn't it?

I wish I could think this deeply about the game while I'm at the table. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]