Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Why all the whining about the clock being called?

Everytime that I see the clock being called on someone in a televised event, they feel the need to spend some of their available time whining about it and telling the person who called for the clock that they are a pro and will take as long as they want, or that the clock call was unjustified, or whatever.

I understand being upset, but it is a basic rule of tournament poker, and its not like the guy is shooting an angle. By taking an excessive amount of time, you are impacting every other player at your table.

Just once, it would be nice to see someone act like a professional instead of whining and crying about this.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Why all the whining about the clock being called?

Most people are bitches and take non-personal things personally. In the big-ego world of poker, this is especially true. That's the real reason.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call was unjustified, or whatever.

I understand being upset, but it is a basic rule of tournament poker, and its not like the guy is shooting an angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not 100% true. Some players do use the clock as a way to tilt players or call the clock as revenge for having it called on them.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:29 AM

Is it just me or has calling the clock gotten more common in televised tournaments lately? It seems like somebody is calling the clock on somebody else in almost every episode lately, when you used to never see this.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:57 AM

I'm guessing you have a flood of WPT wanna be posers who think every hand they are supposed to stare down their opponent all intensely even when they know they are going to fold the whole time.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:02 AM

I thought that Men the Master was brilliant in his use/abuse on this issue in USPC. He was constantly taking too much time and was really getting under the other players skin and they started calling the clock on him.

Then in a hand with Juanda, Juanda had 77 and raised and Men had 66 and was taking his time. Juanda called the clock and Men got irritated and called. The flop came T high and Juanda made a bet and Men turned to the dealer and said "I'm all-in". Then when Juanda squirmed and tried to figure it all out, Men quickly called the clock on Junada while giving him a killing scowl.

Juanda laid it down. I thought it was brilliant how he turned the tables on his opponent in this situation.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:26 AM

I wonder what was the original intent of "the clock"?

I thought it was there for someone who constantly takes too long to make his/her decisions. For someone every once in a while to take a lengthy time isn't a big deal. I think it's total BS if you've got someone who usually makes their decisions rather fast, then when they have a big decision to make some jerk calls the clock on them.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 AM

Tiffany Williamson and the Sheik [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Solution: There should always be a clock on everybody for every hand.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that Men the Master was brilliant in his use/abuse on this issue in USPC. He was constantly taking too much time and was really getting under the other players skin and they started calling the clock on him.

Then in a hand with Juanda, Juanda had 77 and raised and Men had 66 and was taking his time. Juanda called the clock and Men got irritated and called. The flop came T high and Juanda made a bet and Men turned to the dealer and said "I'm all-in". Then when Juanda squirmed and tried to figure it all out, Men quickly called the clock on Junada while giving him a killing scowl.

Juanda laid it down. I thought it was brilliant how he turned the tables on his opponent in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Men is a joke. He was taking several minutes to make basic decisions facing a standard raise PF and holding hands like 66 and KT. He's been in these situations a million times before and I can only think taking several minutes is just an angle to make his opponent think his hand is way stronger than it was.