Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 11:53 PM

Default Past Articles

I'm interested in reading old articles from the magazine.

I understand that the copyright is returned to the original authors after 3 months, but is it possible to at least list past articles & authors month by month so if I see something that interests me I can request a copy from the author?

If there is already a place where the articles & authors of past issues can be viewed I apologise in advnace.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Past Articles

"If you are looking for a specific article that is older than three months, you should contact the author directly."

I'm fairly new to 2+2 and have found the magazine very informative and only wish that I had joined sooner. I second a list if possible so that us newbies can at least have an article title to contact the author with. I believe that this will allow newer folk to benefit from past knowledge.

Thank you,

grounder
Old 07-21-2006, 04:08 AM

Hi Grounder:

It's important to us at Two Plus Two to protect our authors. Someone who writes a number of articles may begin to realize, as I did many years ago, that they have the framework for a book. But if the articles stay on some website forever, goodbye book sales.

Years ago, when I first began to write gambling articles for hardcopy magazines, they only had what is known as first publication rights. That is they couldn't use the articles for anything else. This allowed me to publish books and helped lead not only to my books but to Two Plus Two Publishing LLC and this web site. We want to give our authors the same opportunity. Thus we only keep the magazine up for three months and then return all rights to the articles back to the authors.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-21-2006, 10:40 AM

Mason, I can compile a list of articles, if that's legal. Let me know. Also, if Mason doesn't read this, other mods can chime in.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 AM

Perhaps we could have a public archive for old articles that the authors themselves feed.

If an author is willing to share his old article in the archive then he throws it in there.
If an author decides he doesn't want it listed any more because he would prefer to only list it on his own blog or is thinking of writing a book then he can take it down whenever he chooses.

No author needs to feel obligated to list their article in the archive but if they are interested in letting it stay public because they don't intend to do anything else with it then go ahead and let them.

While there are some authors who want to hang on to their articles because they might be entertaining thoughts of a book, I suspect there are just as many who would have zero problem with the idea of their work remaining public to be appreciated by the masses.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:54 AM

Hi Bob:

I think I'm against this. The problem is that the author might feel obligated to do this even if he doesn't want to. It's sort of like poker tournaments that withhold a percentage of the prize pool for the staff but when you win something they remind you that's it okay to leave a little something extra.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-02-2006, 11:21 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Mason,

Even in those "poker tournaments that withhold a percentage of the prize pool for the staff but when you win something they remind you that's it okay to leave a little something extra." I don't feel obligated to leave anything.

Don't sweat it mate.

cheers,
goofball
Old 08-20-2006, 11:57 PM

Mason, I suggested a while ago that there be made a list of past article titles along with the author's contact information, so that we could inquire if and where the articles would be available elsewhere. Ed had replied that it was something he was considering. Are you and Dynasty still considering this?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 AM

Hi Tony:

No I'm not. Of course these things can always change, but right now we don't want to put any pressure on our authors to share any of their articles after we take them down.

Best wishes,
Mason