Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Queens face harassment on the turn...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $25 (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 ($11.10)
CO ($17.03)
Button ($19.25)
SB ($33.50)
BB ($34.84)
Hero ($33.37)
UTG+1 ($26.70)
UTG+2 ($23.30)
MP1 ($24.50)
MP2 ($22)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $2.50.

Turn: ($10.10) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

So my questions are:

A) how'd I do on the flop?

B) what the best play on the turn?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Queens face harassment on the turn...

Id 3 bet the flop and see how much he likes his hand then. If he folds, ok you have some good info for later hands. If he comes over the top, easy fold. If he calls, you may have bought yourself a free(or cheap card) on the turn. As played, Id call the turn. Then if he bet the river Id call up to about 1/2 pot bet or so. If checked to me, I would either check behind or make a smallish value bet, probably the latter.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:51 AM

I can't put him on a set. The typical SSNL donk would wait to a later street to CR. AT, KT comes to mind first. Now is he ready to get stacked with those hands? That depends on your reads, and if you think yes - reraise the flop. If you think no - I play the flop like you did and raise the turn.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:53 AM

Well, he calls your preflop raise and check-raises you on the flop, so it looks like he has a big pocket pair or maybe flopped a set.

His bet on the turn is pretty strong, so there's a good chance he's trying to protect a big pair or set against the diamond draw on the board. There's a straight possibility too, but it's not very likely he called and check-raised you with 56 or A5. He could also have two pair, but I don't think he would have called your preflop raise with T3, T2 or 32. Top pair... nah, he might have called your preflop raise with ATs, but a check-raise on the flop with TPTK doesn't seem very likely, unless he thinks you're bluffing.

So on the turn there are 2 possibilities:
1: he has a bigger pocket pair or a set, so there are 5 hands that beat you(AA, KK, TT, 22, 33)
2: he has pocket jacks or AK, which means you're ahead

To me it looks like he has a strong hand. Your raise on the flop was good, but his check-raise and bet on the turn are pretty convincing. So I guess it's likely he has you beat.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 AM

Forgot to mention, didn't have much of a read on BB, although he was relatively tight. VPIP about 20-25 or so over 60 hands. Had shown some discipline and folded some hands earlier against other opponents...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:59 AM

I think he's firing a barrel here, I call or raise, depending on how squirrely I'm feeling
Old 07-12-2006, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgot to mention, didn't have much of a read on BB, although he was relatively tight. VPIP about 20-25 or so over 60 hands. Had shown some discipline and folded some hands earlier against other opponents...

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's relatively tight I don't think he would have called your raise with just AT or KT. On the other hand, tight players sometimes exploit their tight image to bluff every now and then.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 AM

i raise the turn a lot and 20-25v pip on a full ring table isnt relatively tight at all
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 AM

My experience here is that most of the time, this villian has TPTK and is willing to get stacked - I'm re-raising the flop all in. As someone else pointed out, with a set most villians wait to the turn to hit you with their delightful little min-raise.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, he calls your preflop raise and check-raises you on the flop, so it looks like he has a big pocket pair or maybe flopped a set.

His bet on the turn is pretty strong, so there's a good chance he's trying to protect a big pair or set against the diamond draw on the board. There's a straight possibility too, but it's not very likely he called and check-raised you with 56 or A5. He could also have two pair, but I don't think he would have called your preflop raise with T3, T2 or 32. Top pair... nah, he might have called your preflop raise with ATs, but a check-raise on the flop with TPTK doesn't seem very likely, unless he thinks you're bluffing.

So on the turn there are 2 possibilities:
1: he has a bigger pocket pair or a set, so there are 5 hands that beat you(AA, KK, TT, 22, 33)
2: he has pocket jacks or AK, which means you're ahead

To me it looks like he has a strong hand. Your raise on the flop was good, but his check-raise and bet on the turn are pretty convincing. So I guess it's likely he has you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's give villian a bit of credit... especially with HERO's new read info. There is no reason to play a set that fast on that flop. So I think we can throw out TT, 22, 33. I think we can throw out AK - CR the flop would be a strange play with that hand. I am inclined to toss out KK as well - seems like this villian would reraise KK from the BB. In my mind, that leaves AA, JJ, AT, KT. We are only behind to one of those hands, and I think villian reraises AA preflop as well.

Then again... people (myself included) tend to post losing hands, but I am trying to not let that cloud my judgement.