Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 AM

Default How common is this?

I played a $1 SNG today at Poker Stars and I hit monster hands (quads) twice. In both cases, I was heads up at the flop acting last, and the guy UTG would not bet into me.

So in both cases, I went for a trap, checking it down to the river. Then at the river, once checked to again, I made a big overbet, 3 to 4x the pot. I figured if they folded, I was never going to win much regardless of what I bet, and I didn't want to throw out a min bet and broadcast that I was begging for a call. So instead I attempted to portray a clumsy steal attempt.

Well, it worked both times...got called, and took it down.

I guess my questions are

*How common is this tactic? Does it have a name?

*Will it work at higher limits than the microlimits I'm playing now?

*If not, is there a different or better way to portray a bluff attempt to players at the next level?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: How common is this?

This is pretty general so its hard to say, but I think with quads you should be making a normal bet on the turn in a lot of cases to get calls from draws or weaker made hands. With the bigger pot you build when they call its more likely they will call another bet on the river if they have something. Also, idiots can be found well above the $1 level.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:56 AM

This tactic is called 'I only got one street of value, damn that sucks, guess thats why the early bird gets the worm and teh slowplayer just gets one street of value'
Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 AM

If villain calls a 4xPot overbet, thats effectively 2 streets of value tho.

Anyway, I still don't like the line. You will miss turn-value from draws a lot, and they wont pay you out on the river.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 AM

I like to get it all in preflop with quads
Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to get it all in preflop with quads

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This tactic is called 'I only got one street of value, damn that sucks, guess thats why the early bird gets the worm and teh slowplayer just gets one street of value'

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but quads will be hard to extract any value on any more than two streets at most at the best of times. i would play this by check flop and bet 3/4 on the turn, and entice drawing hands to come along.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM

"If not, is there a different or better way to portray a bluff attempt to players at the next level? "

Do you ever take the line of "check behind, check behind, bet huge" AS an actual bluff? If not, then you need to a) start doing it occassionally or b) stop taking that line for value.

Basically what I'm saying is that chances are, you take this line with a very polarized range of hands, i.e. only your monsters. When you move up in stakes, people WILL notice this. So when players know you aren't bluffing with a certain line, then yes there are better lines to use to portray bluffs.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 PM

I would say that you get quads so infrequently + the fact that you're using 2-3 of the board cards that the other person can't use [for the most part] that no particular line is going to affect your SnG ROI in the long term.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:41 PM

all quads are not equal. if you flop quads on a QTT two tone board you may get action. on a KK2 rainbow board, probably not. you should probably bet the turn because if they are going to call that river bet, then you can probably squeeze out two streets of action.