Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 02:28 AM

Default Anatomy of a Murder v. Little Buddha

The one you've all been waiting for, Little Buddha v. Anatomy of a Murder.

Feminine Wiles:
Anatomy
Lee Remick looks like a real woman. Very pretty but a little off type, tiny body with great ass and hips and enough boobs to keep you honest. Hot. Like Kelly Ripa, only you knuckleheads don't have any bad opinions about her.

Buddha
Keanue Reeves looks like a real woman. I think you'll find that most traditional societies where men grow their hair long either go topless most of the time, have distinctive male/female forms of dress, or enforced facial hair/tattoos. Cause honestly, you wouldn't want to come across the young Keanu Reeves at a club and decide he was a female half-asian supermodel.

Score: Advantage Anatomy

Plot:
Anatomy
Snappy, dirty, modern dialogue. Solid pacing. Great ambiguity. They could take this script from 1959 and remake the movie intact, and as long as you allowed the actors and director to improv a little, it would absolutely hum. This movie rocks, and getting it remade would move Dominic from the "If I'm 40 and I hook up with a 20 year old, it'll make me kinda sad in a 'life goals' kinda way" to the "Nice shot, Dom" zone.

Buddha
Young Sadartha: I do not understand this Suffering.
bisonbison: I guess Bollywood's not big enough yet for a full on 'Life of the Buddha'.
Strange Mystic On The Bridge: You will need this bowl on your journey.
bisonbison: Point taken.

Score: Duece

Musician with a Supporting Role:
Anatomy
Duke Ellington, which is just fricking awesome. Sorry, he went by "Duke". And his real last name was Ellington. He didn't just pick that cause it sounded like 'elegant'. Bad ass. And the opening credits start with his stuff. So if you have any kind of ear for what I'll call "good music", you get hooked.

Buddha
Chris Isaak rocks, insofar as he is the least gay yet most dangerous choice from the pre-emo emo trio of Chris Isaak, Freedy Johnston and Trent Reznor. I mean, some people never get over Chris Isaak. But unless they commit suicide, everyone gets over Freedy and Trent.

Enduring Message:
Anatomy
You can make a movie where everything is in doubt, and not end it with a crappy Signs-level Shyamalan twist. It's okay to not resolve things. It's often particularly good to not resolve things.

Buddha
If you're gonna live infinite lives, what the hell are you so worried about?

Score: Duece

Social Worth of Having Seen It:
Anatomy
Awesome movie. People know who Jimmy Stewart is so you can tell your mild acquaintance who somehow mentions Jimmy Stewart that he (and it's usually he) should put this film on his Netflix list (which he will have).

Buddha
That whole tea v. cup thing is a pretty decent way to explain reincarnation, especially if you're willing to break the cup, but reincarnation don't matter cause you ain't gonna be around for it.

And it looks like Little Buddha is abandoning the court, it insists its Seattle cinematography is too dark to play in. Chair umpire? He's having none of it!

Game-set-match, Anatomy of a Murder.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Anatomy of a Murder v. Little Buddha

I have never seen either of these movies, but Anatomy looks quite interesting, thx for the tip.

Oh, and the prose is tastefully done, per the usual. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Young Sadartha: I do not understand this Suffering.
bisonbison: I guess Bollywood's not big enough yet for a full on 'Life of the Buddha'.
Strange Mystic On The Bridge: You will need this bowl on your journey.
bisonbison: Point taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:42 AM

You cannot be serious.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:13 AM

I don't get it. Well, I do, kinda, but not really.

All I know is, somebody may be reading this, and they may not know that George C Scott is awesome in "Anatomy of a Murder".
Old 06-29-2006, 11:14 AM

You cannot be serious.

You'd be surprised.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:25 PM

All I know is, somebody may be reading this, and they may not know that George C Scott is awesome in "Anatomy of a Murder".

This is true. Seeing this and then Patton back to back is likely to leave you loving George C. Scott for the rest of your life.

Unfortunately, I saw Anatomy a couple of weeks before Buddha, so when it popped into my mind that the movies were begging to be compared, I forgot to include a Scott-friendly category.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:37 PM

I'm afraid I'll never get over Chris Isaak.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:43 PM

Lee Remick was a babe. That is all.

Nice review.