Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Lets talk about resumes

I am preparing my resume for a summer job. I am hoping to get a summer job in research. I am 3rd year in a bio-psych degree. Few questions

1) Would you include volunteer work experience from high school. Like tutoring kids 3 years ago or is that bad?
2) Would you allow the resume to flow over a page. Right now it is about 1 1/2
3) I am thinking of putting one or two things like "member of the bio-psych society" which, although I am a member, I have had absolutely no involvement, other than my 5 membership fee and going to one event, which was pizza.
Would you ever put this on?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Lets talk about resumes

Especially for a summer job, you should not have your resume over a page long. Its tacky. Atleast adjust your margins so that you have that extra room for relevant information.

Only provide job experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for. If there was a position that showed you were a supervisor or something to that degree then it is fine.

Your resume is basically a summary of yourself. The cover letter is where the true bragging of your accomplishments come in.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM

I would definately keep it on 1 page.

Also, keep the tutoring in there and also the membership in the group. I would add the tutoring as an entry in the "activities" (or whatever) section at the end, not as a job entry.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Would you include volunteer work experience from high school. Like tutoring kids 3 years ago or is that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

if it is relevant to your job search, and you can speak to it in an interview, yes

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

generallt not, until you've been out in the workplace for a number of years. coming out of my business school, it was required for resumes to be 1 page. CEO/director level people are given more leeway. not sure what the standard is in your field, but the best bet is to go to your schools career services center and ask

[ QUOTE ]
3) I am thinking of putting one or two things like "member of the bio-psych society" which, although I am a member, I have had absolutely no involvement, other than my 5 membership fee and going to one event, which was pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if they ask you about this in an interview? what would you say? I'm all for creativity, but it sounds like this one should be left out
Old 01-19-2006, 12:43 PM

I agree with the above posters. Your resume should definitely only be 1 page long. I would keep the part about tutoring kids but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it as it has little relevance to the position that you are applying for. A one liner would be fine.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am preparing my resume for a summer job. I am hoping to get a summer job in research. I am 3rd year in a bio-psych degree. Few questions

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If it's relevant to the position you're applying for, then yes. Doesn't seem so in this case.

2. Resumes should be one page, IMO. Anything more than that better be good. My friend's got a three-page standard resume, but there's so much computer crap and work experience that it's okay.

3. Probably not. If the bio-psych club president gets a call and doesn't know who you are, then you may be in trouble.

Hope this helps.

ScottieK
Old 01-19-2006, 12:53 PM

thanks everyone for the replies. The problem is that I dont really have much experience in the field I am applying for in research. Most of my experience is in tutoring and workign with kids/disabled people. I will try to cut it down to one page, which shouldnt be that difficult

Also. What about this. I am a member of the osteoporsis society of hamilton, and am currently being trained to give speeches to groups of people, mostly older woman, but as of yet havent done anything. By the time the summer is here, I will have. Can i put this on my resume?

and finally, would you change you advice at all, if my mom is the one who is going to be handing the resume out for me. She works at the hospital and has a lot of contacts (a semi hookup).

Old 01-19-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if my mom is the one who is going to be handed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa your mom is a freak. Pics pls.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:03 PM

As someone who does alot of resume reviewing and hiring, I can tell you none of those issues are gonna make a difference.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Why don't you tell him what will then?