Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 AM

Default 2-7 Triple Draw Math Question

I'm not great at math, but I love knowing percentages. I know a made Jack is a favorite over any draw heads up with one opponent and that a made 9 in a three person pot is a favorite if your opponents are still drawing are favorites (both with 1 draw remaining), thanks Super System. Just knowing this has made me a good deal of money playing the game. Anyway, there's another situation that I find myself in a lot playing deuce-seven. The one I'm most curious about is: With TWO draws remaining, what made hand is a favorite over a single opponent drawing TWO? From experience it seems like 10's or better tend to hold in this spot...anyone know the math here? I know a lot depends on the situation, what cards are already out, etc, etc, but I'm just looking for an answer in a general sense. And if anyone knows any other useful percentages in deuce-seven triple draw, share!!

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] fiveaces17
Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Re: 2-7 Triple Draw Math Question

A T is a decent favorite to win, while a J might be. It depends to some extent whether your opponent is willing to keep a 9 or higher.

Example situation: You hold T8532, your opponent holds KQ732. If your opponent discards a 9 he will make T-high just 39% of the time.

If you hold J8532 and he keeps an 9 he will make J-high or better 49% of the time.

Both these numbers, however, assume two draws, while some of the time your opponent will get two bricks on the second draw and fold the third round.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful. Do you do the math yourself or do you have a resource for it? Anyone know if there are any triple draw calculators on the web?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:23 PM

I have a tool which I wrote myself to show the results of multi-round draws. (I don't plan on releasing it as it is somewhat clunky and has a few known bugs which I can work around.) The math is sort of tedious to work through, but it is feasible to do by hand.

I am working (very slowly) on a tool which will provide showdown equity for situations in which there are 2 or more players drawing. The problem is that there are drawing decisions to be made which are not obvious, so it's not possible to do a pure "hot and cold" simulation like you can in a flop or stud game. You either have to provide a simulated model of drawing decisions or else solve for the "perfect information" game, which is significantly different. I am doing the latter.

You can, of course, use twodimes.net to do last-draw equity calculations.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can, of course, use twodimes.net to do last-draw equity calculations.

[/ QUOTE ]

... with the knowledge that A2345 is wrongly a straight instead of A-high card in their 2-7 calculations.

Good enough for most things, but worth remembering for some.