Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Default America: Double standards in Free speech in lieu of PC

Ozzie Guillen calls a sports writer a bad name for gay people, and people call for his head. People bad mouth the president with swear words in music and all sorts of horrible remarks. Many of them aren't even talked about in the media or criticized. Wow. If you have played sports or had friends in highschool and haven't ever used the 3 letter word ozzie used in your life then I think you should become a priest and run for pope. Ozzie hasn't said anything different then what so many of us had. It's not an attack on gays. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Post deleted by Ryan Beal

Old 06-23-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: America: Double standards in Free speech in lieu of PC

[ QUOTE ]
Ozzie Guillen calls a sports writer a bad name for gay people, and people call for his head. People bad mouth the president with swear words in music and all sorts of horrible remarks. Many of them aren't even talked about in the media or criticized. Wow. If you have played sports or had friends in highschool and haven't ever used the 3 letter word ozzie used in your life then I think you should become a priest and run for pope. Ozzie hasn't said anything different then what so many of us had. It's not an attack on gays. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The uproar is not by America. He's being fined by the organization he works for. I don't consider sports leagues "America."

And the term he used is derogatory to gays in the same way that the "N" word is derogatory to blacks.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was Ozzie Guillen hauled off to prison and I didn't hear about it? I missed the part of the story where his free speech was violated.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 AM

I think the standard MLB contract has a clause about maintaining the integrity of the game or somesuch. NBA coaches and owners are routinely fined for questioning officials' calls. Ozzie also used the f-bomb in his tirade at the sportswriter. If a Bush-basher on CNN called him a "f*cking f*ggot," I'm sure he'd have problems, because his employer would feel he was harming their corporation.

The government isn't coming down on Ozzie because of what he said; he has the free speech right to say it. It's his employer and MLB that is taking action against him.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if you fine Ozzie Guillen, you better fine CNN and Bush Bashers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this make sense to anyone?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if you fine Ozzie Guillen, you better fine CNN and Bush Bashers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this make sense to anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes sense only if you understand that this guy and OP have no idea what "Free Speech" means.

The right to free speech as guaranteed by the 1st amendment of the constitution only prevents citizens the freedom from government punishment/interference on their speech. Private organizations are not included in "Free Speech."

Freedom of Speech does not mean freedom from reprocussions of your speech by *everyone*, only the government.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:27 PM

If you take his comments literally in context of this thread... it would be quite interesting if the MLB fined CNN (for what exactly, I'm not sure, since the OP writes so vaguely.)

Or if the MLB tried to fine Bush Bashers. (Again, I'm not sure which Bush Bashers he means or what they're supposed to have said to deserve fining)

But I think we would all agree with the OP that there would be a problem if the MLB starting trying to fine random people for their speech. (Let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that's what he meant. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 06-23-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And the term he used is derogatory to gays in the same way that the "N" word is derogatory to blacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also the term for a cigarette across the pond, so I wouldn't exactly equate it with a racial slur.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also the term for a cigarette across the pond, so I wouldn't exactly equate it with a racial slur.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because words have multiple meanings, doesn't mean they're not slurs. There's a word that means a narrow opening or crack that is also a racial slur for chinese people. You're being deliberately obtuse.