Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 11:53 PM

Default limit holdem expectation

How many hands of limit holdem does it take to determine expectation per 100 hands at a given limit?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Re: limit holdem expectation

[ QUOTE ]
How many hands of limit holdem does it take to determine expectation per 100 hands at a given limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done a lot of coaching, and I can say that, seeing every hand, you can get an excellent read on a player's skill and likely winrate in a given game after a very small sample. I routinely write detailed game descriptions for players after seeing them play 150 hands.

Of course, this only works if you have a pretty good feel for the game and know what you are looking for. If you want to estimate your winrate as though it is a random variable and the only input you give are your historical results, knowing nothing about poker, then it converges a little more slowly... maybe 1000x as many hands would give you a similar skill level estimate. Why people still try to do it this way is beyond me, but there it is.

good luck.
Eric
Old 06-14-2006, 12:04 AM

150 hands? wow. that was much lower than i expected
Old 06-14-2006, 12:15 AM

just out of curiosity, what does this coaching entail and what do you charge for it? do you do it only for live players or can you do it online as well?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:15 AM

he said watching you play for 150 hands and purely statistical results would require 150,000 hands
Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 AM

right. i got that much.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just out of curiosity, what does this coaching entail and what do you charge for it? do you do it only for live players or can you do it online as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Online only. PM me for details.

By the way, 150 hands isn't even required in some cases, and it's not that amazing. Take this simple example: first hand, it's raised on reraised to the player. He coldcalls 72. I don't need thousands of hands to make a pretty good prediction about this guy's winrate... I can do it in ONE.

It's a good thing too... after all, this is the basis of game selection. If we needed 200,000 hands to distinguish the good players from the bad, the game would be a lot tougher. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck.
Eric
Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Online only. PM me for details.

By the way, 150 hands isn't even required in some cases, and it's not that amazing. Take this simple example: first hand, it's raised on reraised to the player. He coldcalls 72. I don't need thousands of hands to make a pretty good prediction about this guy's winrate... I can do it in ONE.

It's a good thing too... after all, this is the basis of game selection. If we needed 200,000 hands to distinguish the good players from the bad, the game would be a lot tougher. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same thing if Im playing someone and my HUD only shows 50 hands but he's like 90%VPIP...I dont need much more than that.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:13 PM

yeah but 50 hands isn't enough to say.. determine whether 1/2 or 2/4 is more profitable...
Old 06-20-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah but 50 hands isn't enough to say.. determine whether 1/2 or 2/4 is more profitable...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my response didnt have anything to do with this....looking again I dont think your OP did either.

all my reply meant is that it doesnt take me or any educated player more than a few key hands to smell out a fish, and 50 or so regular hands to get a roundabout average of your VPIP.....there was no mention of limits or beating certain games.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]