Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 05:15 PM

Default should I have thrown away this top set?

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $102.95
UTG+1: $112.20
UTG+2: $90.16
MP1: $57.88
MP2: $143.29
MP3: $99.25
CO: $60
Button: $66.21
SB: $93.85
Hero: $99.29

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, 2 folds, 2 folds, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($6.5, 6 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $6.2</font>, 3 folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $31</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in $95.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO calls all-in $52.8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $67.29</font>.
Uncalled bets: $39.29 returned to Hero.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($220.25, 0 player + 3 all-in - Main pot: $183.5, Sidepot 1: $73.5)

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($220.25, 0 player + 3 all-in - Main pot: $183.5, Sidepot 1: $73.5)

Results:
Final pot: $220.25
Old 06-12-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Re: should I have thrown away this top set?

C'mon Riddick. BBV is down the street.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:07 PM

I toss this everytime.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon Riddick. BBV is down the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really Rid, get a grip. While you often won't win, you are covering the biggest stack in this confrontation and can still often get some of your money back when shorty draws out and UTG has a lower set/2 pair with no good draws. Even if that wasn't the case, you can't consider folding here. Otherwise you might as well just move to the play money tables.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:20 PM

Let me phrase my question differently:

Should I have pot checkraised the flop?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 PM

I hate checkraising with top set, it telegraphs your hand. If you're gonna checkraise do it with a hand with some bluff potential.

The thing about leading out here is you're gonna get the calls and/or raises anyhow. So why let give middle or bottom set an excuse to fold? You want lower sets and 2-pairs to call and flush and straight draws to fold. Obviously you lost the pot, but we don't know who to. This hand could have gone down differently though. If UTG is betting a lower set and CO is calling with a wrap, you could have pushed CO off if you'd potted and UTG had repotted. That of course assumes some read which you've failed to provide.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about leading out here is you're gonna get the calls and/or raises anyhow. So why let give middle or bottom set an excuse to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you played much Party Poker Omaha you would realize that many, perhaps most of the players there will gladly put their entire stacks in on the flop with middle set, sometimes bottom set, against even pot checkraises. One of the villains in this hand in fact only had a set of 7s.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you played much Party Poker Omaha you would realize that many, perhaps most of the players there will gladly put their entire stacks in on the flop with middle set, sometimes bottom set, against even pot checkraises. One of the villains in this hand in fact only had a set of 7s.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I never consider folding this for a second, and I'm one of the nittiest, weak-tight nut peddlers out there...

Tom
Old 06-13-2006, 02:24 AM

The other had the wrap flush draw.

I knew, before I called off that last $65 that I was the dog in the hand, and after running it through cardplayer's calculator I was in fact the worst off (29% to 31% to 40%). The combination of me thinking that I was behind and then confirming that I was behind, equity wise, led me to ask the OP question, to which I got a resounding answer it appears.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:53 AM

Rid,

You got your money in with the best hand on the flop. As far as the equity situation goes, it generally takes an extremely big wrap + flush draw for 1 player to have you crushed, or the hands of 2 players to do so. But often enough, even on the big tables, you will be against one person with middle set and another overplaying a weak wrap or the nut flush draw, or even 2 playes with big draws that are holding a lot of each other's outs. And it's not like you got yourself in a bad situation by limping with JJ and 2 [censored] sidecards, although your sidecards didn't happen to offer you any defense.

For the sake of complete info on this hand, why don't you run it through 2 dime's calculator and post the results here.