Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Help setting up my laptop for 8 tabling.

Hi,

I currently 4-table with no overlap on my toshiba, with a screen of 1024 x 768 using the mini-view tables on prima.

I am basically wondering what the best(and preferabally cheapest) way to have a setup where I can 8 table with no overlap using these mini view tables.

I am aware that I could use a second monitor with my laptop, but I would need a video card.

I also think it is possible to just replace the LCD screen on my laptop for one with a higher resolution. Would I need a new video card for this and could I get a single laptop screen that is good enough to fit 8 tables on??

What do you think is the best idea??
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Help setting up my laptop for 8 tabling.

Most laptops already have a second monitor hookup on the back unless yours is from 1990. Finding a video card that hooks up through USB or PCMICA is going to be pretty impossible. Replacement LCD screens for laptops are VERY expensive. IT might be in your best interest to just upgrade your laptop. YOu can get a good Dell laptop off Ebay for under $600 that will run 1600x1200 resolution on a 17" screen.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the reply - my laptop does have a second monitor hookup, so I will use that. However, being a retard that I am, I still cannot figure if I need a new video card if I want to do this.

I cant seem to understand this

"Finding a video card that hooks up through USB or PCMICA is going to be pretty impossible"

Does this mean I will need a new video card for a second monitor, but it will be impossible to find one? Pleace clarify..
Old 06-08-2006, 10:16 PM

You'll be fine then. Plug the external monitor into the laptop. Right click the desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> and click the box that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor. The only thing your video card is going to do is limit how high you can set your resolution on the 2nd monitor. If you want to run a higher resolution, then you basically need to buy a different computer.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YOu can get a good Dell laptop off Ebay for under $600 that will run 1600x1200 resolution on a 17" screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 9300?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll be fine then. Plug the external monitor into the laptop. Right click the desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> and click the box that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor. The only thing your video card is going to do is limit how high you can set your resolution on the 2nd monitor. If you want to run a higher resolution, then you basically need to buy a different computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, thanks a lot man.