Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 05:17 AM

Default 5/10NL and $500NL Hands for Review...(From today)

Hand #1

Live 5/10NL

Hero $1100 behind...dealt Ah4h on the button...
Villain is $1500 behind in the CO...no reads on villain, seems to know what he's doing but playing loose...

raised from up front to $40
5 callers...including me

Flop

Jh Ac Kh

Checked to CO who bets $80...
I call
one call in the middle

turn

As

Checked to CO, CO bets $150
Hero raises to $330
MP folds, CO calls

River

2h

CO checks...

Hero bets $200

Good or bad raise on turn??? VB on river???

-------------------------------------------------------

Hand #2..2/5NL live

Hero dealt AhAs UTG ($600 behind)
Hero raises to $20...4 callers

Flop

Jd 10s 4d

Hero leads for $80
MP - $400 behind (good friend of mine) makes it $200...MP+2 calls (only $200 behind at this point)
Hero folds...

standard laydown?

----------------------------------------------------------

Hand #3

Hero dealt AdAc on the button...
MP raises to $20
Hero reraises to $45
BB calls ($650 behind)...MP calls ($1200 behind)

Flop

5s 5c Qs

BB bets out $75
MP folds
Hero raises to $200...BB calls

turn 2h

BB checks...hero pushes ?

--------------------------------------------------------

Hand #4

Hero ($1400 behind) dealt AdKc in the BB...
MP ($1500 behind) raises to $20 (MP LAG who has been raising and calling reraises...has not showndown but is reraising lots of pots postflop)
Hero reraises to $50
MP Calls

Flop

K J 9 r

MP checks
Hero bets $75
MP raises to $175
Hero re-raises to $400
MP calls...

Turn As

MP checks...
Hero pushes...

thoughts on the 3-bet flop???
Turn push too risky???
Old 06-09-2006, 05:44 AM

Default Re: 5/10NL and $500NL Hands for Review...(From today)

hand 1, just call the turn. bigger VB on river.
hand 2, raise more preflop. push flop.
hand 3, raise more pre, post is ok.
hand 4, raise WAY more preflop against a LAG w/ these stacks. flop i usually check on such a scary board, flop threebet is terrible. vnh on catching perfect tuurn card.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:40 AM

1. imo only QT makes sense for CO -> call turn and raise bigger on the river. maybe 600 or something. i see a good chance you get a call from the straight because he cant put you on a ful nor the flush

2. put MP+2 on a combodraw. if your friend plays QQ+ this way push. i push vs unknown.

3. raise more pre. i slow down on the flop. if you are ahead there are only 2 outs for villian (if he is not on a FD but i dont see a FD leading this flop).
i call the flop and raise the turn if checked to me.

4. raise more pre. why did you rr the flop? i cbet and call the raise. turncard is very nice but i try to get a cheap SD anyway. too many hands out there that have you bet.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:28 AM

for the last hand...I was on the button, not in the BB...

I had position on the LAG raiser
Old 06-09-2006, 07:37 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Hand 1: I think you should call the turn as well. Since you raised you gotta bet more on the river. $500 seems right.

Hand 2: It's pretty read dependent but I have no problem with a fold. This is a live poker hand I think. Look at your friend and decide if he has a set.

Hand 3: Gotta raise mroe preflop jesus. Make it $100 or so I think. I think your push has a hard time getting a call from AQ. Bet 40% now and 60% on the river.

Hand 4: I'd call the flop as well. Once the turn hit though my plan would be to figure out the best way to get all the money in the middle.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 AM

Hand #1
If he raised from early position he could easily have a bigger ace and your drawing to your flush....or 4...worst case is he has already flopped his set or has AK and yuo are drawing dead and hes sucking you in....

Once the other Ace turns there NO WAY you will lay this down, Aces are gone and if he had KK or JJ he would be protecting vs draws on the flop...

...Bigger raise on turn..he was getting 5 to 1 on a call on the turn....I woulda pushed there and hoped to take it down there...

Hand #2
I call 1 person but not 2....way too many draws out there...and both are pot commited at this point....get out of the way...FOLD

Hand #3
BB probably Q....hes not betting out for a free card as hes OOP...(or stupid) hes on a Q or Draw and hoping to get there cheap...A pot size bet puts him all in which Is what Id recommended will do nothing as hes ALL IN anyways...I push also....if he calls your dead though...

Hand #4
Hes possible guttered on the flop and raising for the free card on the turn....I reraise top pair there...theres a straight out there but I think he would reraised back on flop as to protect it...

...turn you hit 2nd pair...time to protect yours...only a straight or set has you beat...I push
Old 06-09-2006, 11:20 AM

@gamblegamble
wow, i totaly disagree with your advice.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:46 AM

I haven't read the other responses yet, so I may be repeating.

#1. (A4s flops TP & flush draw) Easy call preflop. Just call the turn -- only hands that are ahead of you will call you. River, maybe you get a crying call for your small bet, but what are you going to do if he chedk-raise pushes? Can you lay that down for your last $450? I doubt it, even though you will be shown a full house 99.9% of the time you call. Either push it all in yourself or just check behind.

#2. Lay it down. You could be looking at top two or a set, plus a KQ, leaving you ZERO outs

#3. Raise more preflop. Postflop: Well, he isn't drawing, because there was nothing to draw at. So either you are badly dominated, or you are badly dominating him. If you bet again on the turn, many of those hands which you are badly dominating will just fold, where they might have come out betting on the river if you check behind, and there is not a single better hand than your that you will chase out. A free card is not much of a risk, here, he probably has only 2 outs or maybe zero. So give him a free card and probably get a bet on the river from any Q or 88-JJ, or even from a bluffer. If he checks to you on the river, you can go all in and it looks more like a bluff than betting on the turn, so you have a better chance for a call from JJ.

On the other hand, if you would play AK this way, including a push on the turn, then do so with AA, too.

#4. AK making top pair should try never to get deeper than 60 big blinds. If you get deeper than that, it's because you're behind. Once you made top two, the great thing about it is that it did NOT make anyone a straight (because if it did, they already had one on the flop). You could be beat, here, but I think you have to push. You really don't want to give KQ a free card.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #3
BB probably Q....hes not betting out for a free card as hes OOP...(or stupid) hes on a Q or Draw and hoping to get there cheap...A pot size bet puts him all in which Is what Id recommended will do nothing as hes ALL IN anyways...I push also....if he calls your dead though...

[/ QUOTE ]
Final sentence says why pushing here is wrong. The important qualifiers are: 1. If you ARE ahead, then he has almost no outs. 2. There are lots of hands that you beat which will suddenly come alive betting the river if you show a little weakness on the turn. 3. If you ARE already ahead, then he has almost no outs. (This was worth saying twice.) That is the primary consideration for playing wounded duck on the turn with a weakish hand.

Reasons to slowplay:
#1 You are so strong you would like opponent to improve (to a good losing hand).
#2 (turn only) The case above, where you might be badly behind, but if you're ahead opponent probably has no more than two outs.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:25 PM

i'd do the opposite of what gamblegamble said in every hand except MAYBE #2