Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 10:19 AM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there
Default Play Small Edge or Maintain Fold Equity?

Hey all, this occured in a home tournament, it was a 20 person tournament, but this forum seems to be the best place to cover endgame strategies, to which I'm somewhat of a beginner.

Situation is this: 4 handed, blinds at 1000/2000, tournament is paying 4, and the bubble just burst

Villain t4900
Button t10000
Hero (SB) t7500
BB t5800

As you can see, blinds are enormous compared to stack sizes, although this is just a rough approximation. Between myself, the BB, and the button, there may have been a few more chips out there.

In any case, the table was very passive, and I sensed the other 3 all really wanted to keep sneaking up in the payouts.

I'm dealt KQs in the small blind, the villain moves all in for 4900 from UTG, button folds, around to me. It's about half my stack in there if I call, killing my fold quity at this very passive table. However, the big blind is already getting ready to fold his cards, and I know he wants nothing to do with this hand

So, obviously I would need to put the villain on a very tight range in order to make this call -EV equity-wise, calling 3900 to win 7900. But there's a good chance that I'm behind to an ace, and that I'm basically making this call with my fold equity for the next two hands in position.

Where do I draw the line? After thinking about this hand outside the heat of battle, I've determined that I probably should have called with the KQs...But how far down should I have gone with it? Any ace? KJ, KT? Or am I stupid for passing up any kind of equity edge with blinds at that level?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Play Small Edge or Maintain Fold Equity?

If the table is as tight as you say (BB folding when he has 25% in the middle), then I might fold, and then push every single hand after that. There could be huge +EV value in that type of play.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:59 AM

Depends on the payout structure, if 1st pays a lot more than every other place than it's a rather easy call. If it's flat say 40/30/20/10 then you might be able to find a fold, however, I think you are overestimating how tight of a range UTG has. I'm calling unless I pick up some tell on the guy.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:08 AM

Since you can't plug this into SNGPT, this hand makes for good ICM practice. Just put him on a range and calculate it out.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the table is as tight as you say (BB folding when he has 25% in the middle), then I might fold, and then push every single hand after that. There could be huge +EV value in that type of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not going to work too well when opponents only have 2xbb to 3xbb stacks.

original raiser's range is probably pretty wide, i would call here.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:45 AM

call