Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 AM

Location: I\'m going to have a really long and curious location so that people will have to click on my name to see how it concludes. To anyone reading this- OWNED!
Default 50NL-99 Resteal preflop yah or nah?

Why didn't anyone tell me 50NL was easy? The only difference between it and $25 is that you can actually induce people to bluff and throw chips away, a lot of LAGtards. No reads, second orbit or so.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

saw flop|saw showdown</font>

Button ($20.65)</font>
SB ($73.65)
Hero ($62.25)
UTG ($22.75)</font>
MP ($38.55)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, 9.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, Button raises to $1</font>, SB calls $0.75, Hero Raises to what?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 AM

Default Re: 50NL-99 Resteal preflop yah or nah?

Hey bent96, why were you ignoring me in the chat the other day? =(
Old 05-24-2006, 01:22 AM

with no reads, i'd be more inclined to call and play for set value.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:32 AM

I think I'm not as aggressive as I should be out of the blinds. But I really really don't like playing raised and reraised pots out of position with medium pairs (jacks and below)... and thus I'll hardly ever put in a 3rd bet with them.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:14 PM

Bump because this was the first post that came up under "resteal" and because I have a lot of questions about blind contention.

First of all, we agree that against a typical opponent folding is giving up way too much value, yes? You have one of the ten best starting hands, so unless you know for a fact that Villain does not steal, and that TT through AA makes up a good part of her raising range, then folding 99 has to be -EV, no?

Given the choice between reraising and calling, I much prefer to reraise. Obviously Villain folds a true steal, and if Villain was making a reasonable value raise with, say, ATs you may still get a fold.

The problem with calling is, if you call and don't flop a set, you still don't really know where you stand. If 99 flops as an overpair, do you check/raise? What about a J72-type flop? Then again, if Villain calls your reraise with position, you also may not know where you stand. It's more likely you're up against a bigger pair, but I think calling the reraise with something decent (e.g. two overcards to 99) then showing aggression on the flop would be a good line for Villain.

At any rate, if you can't resteal with 99, when can you resteal? Don't you need to resteal a certain % of the time to make Villain's steal -EV?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:19 PM

Raise, button is gay and you should raise for value and protection. (also cracking AA/KK with 99 here is g00t for image purposes)