Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 01:44 PM

Default low pocket pairs in the blinds vs. LP raiser and other thoughts...

This is a situation i've been finding myself in a decent amount fairly recently. Out of all pocket pairs, my only ones that are not profiting are 22, 33, and 44.

Lets say you're in the BB and dealt 33 or 44. Its folded around to CO who raises it. Button folds and SB folds.

whats your usual play here? re-raise/call/fold? whats you're thinking in these situations?

Now the flop comes raggedy but with one high card. Like Q72 or J83. Whats your play?

I'm torn between 2 choices:
taking a more agressive line of play that might define his hand in relation to mine and allow me to take down the pot or get away as soon as possible...or I just simply call down and hope he has 2 unpaired cards and keeps firing.

what about if the flop comes Axx or Kxx? sometimes i'll check-raise an Axx board and fold to a 3-bet. this play actually works a high % of the time to take down the pot right then and there.

the reason I've been thinking about these kinds of things is because I've come to believe that the real meat of a hold'em hand is based around the turn. I think the most money won and lost in postflop hold'em is centered around turn play. The turn is where traps are sprung, traps are dodged, and a lot of times the turn decision is basically a 2 bet decision because if you call the turn, you usually end up calling the river.

My WTSD number consistently hovers around 40% and I believe it suppresses my W$SD number to around 49%. Most of the better players have WTSD ~36 and W$SD ~56. Obviously there are hands where I'm continuing on to showdown where I should be getting away from them.

Anyone have any common turn mistakes that may be causing this?

When you are check-raised on the turn, do you generally assume you are behind if you just have top pair or an overpair and only continue if you have enough outs relative to the pot size? Obviously it matters what overpair you have and what your top pair kicker is. I'd be more inclined to dump top pair with a 10 kicker vs. top pair with and A kicker.

Lets say you MP3 opens with a raise and you call in the BB with QJ and the flop comes J34 rainbow. you bet and get called. Turn comes a 9. You're checkraised. Your action?

Is it completely dependent on your opponent?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: low pocket pairs in the blinds vs. LP raiser and other thoughts...

usual play is to re-raise with anything above Q8o...
will call / check with all but the weakest first two cards

i am only trying to defend blinds, plus set up a big pot later on...

now we are playing heads up poker, and most hands need to go to the turn with only one bet per round previous...any pair i play on...otherwise, i drop unless villian has been checking