Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 PM

Default If you made the final table of the main event

Ok, you have made it through a field of 1200 players and its down to the final 9. You are approached by the major online sites with offers to wear their apparel in exchange for a large payment on tomorrow's Final table taping. However, there is no deal for any affiliation with the site once the final table concludes.

However, you know that if you are to win this event (let's say you are the middle man in chip position), you will make at least $10 M (this is what FullTilt is offering if you play for them all the way through) initially and gain some sort of contract and sponsorship worth over $1M annually for the next 5 years.

Is it +EV to:

1. Take the substantial but smaller payment up front

2. Wear whatever you want and hope you will be winning 10M for poker and making 10M+ with your new contract
Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: If you made the final table of the main event

You have to wear Fulltilt gear to get the fulltilt money I believe. Just make a deal with Fulltilt that gets you money regardless of whether or not you win.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:44 AM

if you do happen to make a FT you can probably negotiate a better deal for yourself to become +ev
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 AM

The main event is gonna be like 8,000 players not 1,200...

Just being a nit.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 AM

The rule last year (at least for the preliminary events before the Main Event) was that you could not negotiate an endorsement for a televised final table once the final table was decided. In other words, if you didn't have a pre-existing agreement with an online sponsor before the final table was decided, you had to wait until after the event to sign a deal.

I don't know how strictly it's enforced, but the online sites seemed to respect the rule, and I didn't see any players come to a final table sponsored who weren't previously sponsored.

-Aces
Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rule last year (at least for the preliminary events before the Main Event) was that you could not negotiate an endorsement for a televised final table once the final table was decided. In other words, if you didn't have a pre-existing agreement with an online sponsor before the final table was decided, you had to wait until after the event to sign a deal.

I don't know how strictly it's enforced, but the online sites seemed to respect the rule, and I didn't see any players come to a final table sponsored who weren't previously sponsored.

-Aces

[/ QUOTE ]
I kind of doubt that. I don't see how they could enforce that unless you have to sign something before the tournament starts. Even then, what could they possibly do other than make you not wear a FullTilt shirt (they prob couldn't even do that).
Old 05-09-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rule last year (at least for the preliminary events before the Main Event) was that you could not negotiate an endorsement for a televised final table once the final table was decided.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really curious and am going to avoid my normal sarcasm but who made up this so-called rule that excludes someone from negotiating a contract at whatever time suits them? Is this some sort of gentlemen's agreement between the sites or a right that players actually sign away with Harrahs?

If it is the former I can't wait to see how long the gentlemen's agreement holds up when an Erica Schoenberg caliber fox is at the final table.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Aces

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron Kanter became Party sponsored for the FT and I swear their was a post a few monthes back about how he was paid like 2.5M to wear it. I am going to try to find that post now.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Aaron Kanter became Party sponsored for the FT and I swear their was a post a few monthes back about how he was paid like 2.5M to wear it. I am going to try to find that post now.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, I'd like to see that post...

Why the hell do you think you would get 2.5 million dollars to wear a shirt on TV. lol
Old 05-09-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, I'd like to see that post...

Why the hell do you think you would get 2.5 million dollars to wear a shirt on TV. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

because they make that in a day and if he wins the main event they'd love to say they have a world champion