Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Should I have folded AQo to a SB all-in?

Midway through a small buy-in live MTT.

A new player sits down to your right at a table and folds the first 5 hands he gets. He is about 3000 deep and the blinds are 300/600. You have about 9000 in front of you.

It is folded to him in the SB and he goes all in, you look down at AQos......do you call.

In this situation I folded. I knew nothing about the player whatsoever except that he had folded 5 hands and that he was willing to ram 3000 chips in. I couldn't justify calling a third of my stack with AQos at this junction, is this a week fold? I feel good about my decision because I felt I did not have enough information to risk a third of my stack on this hand. I would probably make this play again, but it would be good to see other peoples opinions of what they would do and why?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Should I have folded AQo to a SB all-in?

That fold is IMO so bad it's not even funny.

SB has 5 BB left (4.5 left after posting) and has to make a move soon. All fold to him so this situation is good for him. His range is something like any face card, any suited connectors, any pair, well if I were him, it'd be any two

You are so big a favorite is this hand that it doesn't get much better. What a great opportunity to add 67% to your stack
Old 01-13-2006, 08:16 AM

About as bad a a fold as you could make.....he's short stacked....his M is like 3.3....he will do this with just about any 2 cards...and you hold AQ? something tells me that you don't play tournaments often...that was just a horrible fold....and it's not even a call for all your chips....for 1/3 your chips? ...easy call ....i would beat his ass into that pot.....worst case scenario he has small PP...
Old 01-13-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel good about my decision because I felt I did not have enough information to risk a third of my stack on this hand. I would probably make this play again, but it would be good to see other peoples opinions of what they would do and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you feel good about this decision? The reason of his 5 folds was probably because he hadn't had an opportunity to open-push and saw this as his first one. If I was your opponent with an M of 3.3, I'd push any two cards here. Yes, I'd push 27off here without hesitation. So, you're up against an opponent who is likely to push hands like 27off, 38off and you're move is to fold AQ???
Old 01-13-2006, 09:53 AM

Pretty horrible fold.

What do you think you need here to call him? The guy is probably pushing any two.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:58 PM

I might fold if he looked at his cards, looked sideways at his and your chips, frowned, shook his head, muttered "oh well, I guess it's time to go home now," gently pushed his perfectly stacked chips a couple of inches forward, quickly pulled back his violently shaking hands, slumped back in his chair, crossed his arms, and looked down with a huge sigh of defeat.

Nah, I'd still call.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Midway through a small buy-in live MTT.

A new player sits down to your right at a table and folds the first 5 hands he gets. He is about 3000 deep and the blinds are 300/600. You have about 9000 in front of you.

It is folded to him in the SB and he goes all in, you look down at AQos......do you call.

In this situation I folded. I knew nothing about the player whatsoever except that he had folded 5 hands and that he was willing to ram 3000 chips in. I couldn't justify calling a third of my stack with AQos at this junction, is this a week fold? I feel good about my decision because I felt I did not have enough information to risk a third of my stack on this hand. I would probably make this play again, but it would be good to see other peoples opinions of what they would do and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy call for me. He's clearly stealing and its only 1/3 your stack. You're ahead of pretty much his entire range. I would think any pair 99 and better would put in a standard raise hoping to get action.

5 hands is not a sample size.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 PM

Here are some things you are going to need to start considering if you want to continue to improve as a MTT player.

"He folded 5 hands"
The situation in which he makes the fold is 100x more important than wether or not he folded.

-For example, if it were folded to him on the button with his stack size, I would argue he should push every single hand. If someone raised in front of him, he should fold anything below his very good hands.

So, knowing that he folded doesnt mean much. But, even if he folded all 5 times, when the pot was unopened, it still doesn't give him a hand better than AQ.

Really, it is correct it push most of your hands from the SB with 5xBB. Do you think he folds AT here, KQ?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the replies.

That wasn't actually me that folded that. That post was quoted from a person on another forum that I visit (www.flushdraw.ca). I told him it was an auto call and, after him and his buddy decided to get really stubborn, posted about 3 pages explaining to him the range of hand's this person is holding and why calling will ALWAYS be correct in this situation.
He then mentioned that the reason the quality of the posts have decreased there is because players like myself, sarcastically referred to as "pros", aren't good teachers that support open debate, unlike the people on bigger sites. I told him the people on 2+2 would rip him apart.

Thank you for proving my point. Hopefully he's learned now.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:43 PM

I feel used and dirty