Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 09:15 PM

Default The latest Marvel comic stuff

The recent Marvel comics have been pretty damned good. From the Ultimate Universe (a separate universe with a "reboot" of the origins of the Marvel characters) to House of M, Avengers Disassembled, the New Avengers, and Civil War, things are looking good. There's also the Astonishing X-Men, a series written by Joss Whedon.

Anybody been reading this stuff?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Re: The latest Marvel comic stuff

You might also want to check out the current Daredevil arc.
It's the best comic out right now. Incredible stuff.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:17 PM

Yeah unfortunately I have been reading some of this crap. Marvel caters to the kiddie market and just mass produces mega-crossover titles for the buck. Their 2.99 cover price is just ridiculous and sometimes not worth it. However I find myself still picking up for the latest "hot" storyline.

House of M was a huge disappointment. Their crossover titles to Iron Man, FF4, etc were just totally worthless and did not contribute anything to the main storyline. The Other was also horrible.

So far, I've liked Civil War...but I can see this being another Quesada debacle in order to compete with DC's far superior Infinite Crisis. Their production has been more organized and very well planned since 2003. I've liked Astonishing and Deadly Genesis. I'm cutting back on Marvel, tho it's hard with all this Civil War hoopla.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:25 PM

I'm a big fan of Joss Whedon, but I thought Astonishing X_men was horrible. I might have enjoyed it if I was 11 years old.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:04 PM

Bump so Jack of Arcades can explain if he was on drugs yesterday, today, or both.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 PM

I consider Astonishing x-men to be the best x-title in quite some time. The last issue was amazing.

Civil War might be good, but DC is a lot better at managing the big epic story arcs. Most of the crossover titles leading up to Infinite Crisis and through post-crisis were consistently well written. Meanwhile most Disassembled and House of M side stories were sloppy and not worth reading.

Marvel's Ultimate line is pretty good though.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:47 PM

oh, hey, I was tired. forgive me.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 PM

Infinite Crisis blew.

I'm reading some DC stuff now too. Ex Machina and Y: The Last Man look promising.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:50 PM

Astonishing sucked in the second arc with the Danger room. First arc was pretty good, I think, and it's shaping up to get better.

I guess I cans ee why people didn't like House of M, 'cause I didn't really end up with a lot of consequences, but we're gonna see them soon in New Avengers I think.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:06 AM

Infinite Crisis was not that good (I think it is because they crammed too much into 7 issues) but you can tell they took time to plan it. Characters who died in Crisis stayed dead, and the ones who were introduced get follow-up post Crisis. Side arcs like Rann-Thanagar War, OMAC Project, etc...were all well planned and relatively well written.

On a similar note, it was very clearly Marvel did not give a crap who was writing any of the HoM/Disassembled side stories like FF4, Spiderman, Iron Man, etc, as long as the main storyline was selling.