Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Commerce Heavenly Hold\'em $300Multiple 110K pot hand

Saturday Morning 6:55AM at Commerce $330 ReBuy Tournament. Down to 13 Players with total 1.3 Million Tourney Chips. Avg Stack $100K.
Blinds were 3K,6K, 1K ante.
I was the SB with 55K chips. BB had about 100K chips.

(Background Info: In the last two rounds, I had been raising from SB and BB called twice and lost to me twice. The very last one I had 10d,8d, went all-in with on short stack of 12K and got called from the same BB with 54o. I rivered flush and won 30K+ pot.)

On this hand, I looked down and saw AQo, a great hand for this critical moment. I raised to 30K total. BB, with 6K posted, went all-in. Here is what I thought at the time, 1. To reach final table, I needed 100K chips. Blinds would be 4K, 8K next round, plus I put him on under pair at most. Maybe a small suited Ax. Overall, I put 30K chips in there with only 25K left. Therefore, I called quickly.)

His hand was A10o.

Flop was AQJ (rainbow);
Turn was a K...
River 9.

I was out at 13th by another bad beat...

Did I play this hand wrong? He said if I went all-in before the flop with 55K, he'd had folded. Before the flop, I really wanted him to call - with 55K chips, I raised with half of my stack, it really indicated a big hand.

Any advise is appreciate.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Commerce Heavenly Hold\'em $300Multiple 110K pot hand

nevermind
Old 05-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 05-07-2006, 03:49 PM

Any play except a push pre-flop is pretty bad here. You have less than 10BB's and have no room to be doing any post flop play at all.

Also, your theory about needing 'x' amount of chips to 'make the final table' is a very bad way of thinking about tournament poker, and you should eliminate it from your poker vocab. :-)
Old 05-07-2006, 03:55 PM

Go all in preflop. You've said you pushed 108dd and he called with 45o theres no way he is folding a10 to what he thinks is another blind steal. Besides the fact that your stack size was terrible for this type of raise, if you aren't pushing AQo because you want a call your going to be getting a lot more calls when your pushing 108s when you don't want a call.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:04 PM

push preflop, happily call the reraise all in
Old 05-07-2006, 04:24 PM

your error was not winning the hand.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:30 PM

Everyone folded to SB (me), 60% (4 times big blind) raise with AQo against the last one player before the flop is stupid? You are a fool. Have you ever finished top 20 in any 500+ players field tournaments? I finished 12th and 13th during the past 5 300+ tourneys in a row.

On this hand, I want him to call. His all-in with A10o is a bad play when someone raised before him with 60% of the stack. He's lucky on the turn, only 4 outs and runer 10s could save him...

Don't try to shape the topic. This isn't about posting a bad beat, it's about discussing large bet during the final two tables, where you would hear all-in on almost everyhand...
Old 05-07-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This isn't about posting a bad beat, it's about discussing large bet during the final two tables, where you would hear all-in on almost everyhand...

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a terrible bet. just terrible. he's calling all-in w/ a10. what exactly are you looking for in a discussion here? whatever it was it came across as a bad beat post.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone folded to SB (me), 60% (4 times big blind) raise with AQo against the last one player before the flop is stupid? You are a fool. Have you ever finished top 20 in any 500+ players field tournaments? I finished 12th and 13th during the past 5 300+ tourneys in a row.

On this hand, I want him to call. His all-in with A10o is a bad play when someone raised before him with 60% of the stack. He's lucky on the turn, only 4 outs and runer 10s could save him...

Don't try to shape the topic. This isn't about posting a bad beat, it's about discussing large bet during the final two tables, where you would hear all-in on almost everyhand...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is a bad beat.

And your bet was stupid. When blinds are that big you should push or fold. You shouldn't raise and then consider folding when someone pushes over you.

Why are you asking for our opinion if you've got it all figured out?

Yes, the money should've gone in. No, you shouldn't have raised that amount, you should've just pushed.

And for the record, it's very unwise to flame regulars.