Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Live 100/200 Feedback wanted

It was about 4am and I had just left a 10/20 NL game up a lot. I am a good limit player, but for the past years or so, I have mostly played in the biggest NL games I can find, and done very well. The women who I drove was in a 100/200 limit game and did not want to leave. A group from a bachelor party was at her table, they were drinking and wild. I said let's go, she said give her and hour, I said 30 min, we compromised on 45 min. a seat opened and I took it.

Game was wild, the players poor.

My 3ed time around, in the BB I get dealt KhJh.

UTG is a drunk and awful player. playing every hand reraising almost all raises regardless of his trash. MP3 is also bad. I had seen him open raise in early position with J8c, 22, etc. in this wild game, but i had not seen him reraise. Almost all pots were about 6 handed and 3 bets preflop seemed the norm.

Hero in bb KhJh.

UTG limps, 2 callers, MP3 raises, SB calls, I call. I considered raising here even out of position, but MP3 had not reraised preflop yet, and with so many limpers I put him on a big hand. UTG reraises, all call. 6 see the flop for 3 bets each.

Flop AhTh3c

SB checks, I check, UTG bets (it means nothing he was betting and raising every hand), call, call, MP3 raises, SB folds, I 3 bet. UTG calls, fold, fold, MP3 calls. My read was MP3 had hit the flop, and looked excited, I was surprised the did not cap.
My thinking on thinking on 3 betting was I was better then 2 to 1 to make either the nut flush or the nut srt8 by the river (13 outs) therefore, if only 2 called I would have a positive EV, however, based on previous hands I expected everyone to call. Assuming I was correct in my read that I would need to make my hand by the river to win the pot, was the 3 bet correct, or should I have let them all come along? I hated blowing them all out. Because as I said, I was almost certain that I needed to make my hand to win.

As the dealer is about to deal the turn, UTG says "heart", as if he is asking for a heart. The turn is the 5h. Board reads AhTh3c5h. I would normally lead out, but UTG had been so aggressive since I sat down that I checked expecting him to bet. UTG checks, MP3 bets, I raise, UTG folds, MP3 calls.

River 8S. I bet MP3 calls, turns over a set of tens, I take a nice pot. However, i question my play a little preflop, more so on the flop, and on the turn. Feedback on all streets are welcome. I think I did not get the maximum value from the hand.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Live 100/200 Feedback wanted

you can't count the Qh twice, so you have 12 outs to the nuts i think.

why would you ever c/r at a table like this? if you lead nad idot raises, people might even see that as less threatening than the lines you took. still I can't fault you too much, how are you supposed to predict what will happen? If anything I think you overthought the hand.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 PM

thanks stox. yes 12 out, and yes i certainly overthought it. i regret the raise, but given the game i truly expected most if not all to call. however, i was not one of the boys, and my check/raise 3 bet out of position was too much, given an image that must have been different from from when they were playing vs each other.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:27 PM

What I don't understand is why you wanted to leave in 45 minutes. This game sounds too good to be true.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:29 PM

it was, but i was tired, and had won a ton in the 10/20 nl. i wanted sleep.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 PM

this hand is really straight forward.

i would have just lead the turn, these guys sound so aggressive you coudl easily 3-bet.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:51 AM

I think leading the flop and turn is rpeferable. This way, someone can call, MP can raise, and you can jam the flop getting people stuck with weak aces, peeling with tens, etc... If you really think UTG was on hearts, bet the turn so UTG can raise and face MP with 2 cold, if he has a set he calls, sometimes a big ace calls, and any big ace with a heart rdraw always calls, then you 3 bet.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:21 AM

i agree with most of this, it is good advice. i thought utg would bet the turn heart or no heart, he had bet the turn on almost every previous hand. thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:52 AM

you shouldn't really regret the raise.. you want as much money going in on the flop as possible. stox is just saying that the best way to get everyone for the max amount is to bet out, hope the idiot raises and all call, and then you 3 bet it
Old 02-14-2006, 07:10 AM

In a game like this with the lineup you describe I would think that leading is far superior to check/raising.