Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 AM

Default $50NL 6max: Did I give up too early?

I'm having hard time with LAGs. He raised almost every hand he played preflop, like 97s utg etc. I can't decide if he was a good or bad LAG. He was 40/27/3 after 140 hands. But only 15% went to SD. Also this was first time when he called reraise.

My image was surely weaktight, I was running card dead.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $68.85
Hero: $61.80
Button: $94.48
SB: $48.08
BB: $59.27

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($14.75, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $14</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($42.75, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($42.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $45</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $45 returned to UTG.

Results:
Final pot: $42.75

Flop call scared me. What hands you put villain on after that flop call? I hated the turn check, but I thought that I'm surely behind his range now. River bet could be trying to buy the pot.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:35 AM

Default Re: $50NL 6max: Did I give up too early?

Did you have any reads on the villain? is he capable of calling with AJ of diamonds to a $2 preflop raise? If so he could have this or perhaps 99 33, all depends on your read
Old 05-04-2006, 08:43 AM

All the reads I had are on the OP. Most of the hands for his stats are from datamining, So I have no better reads.

99 33 are possible, maybe AK of spades. If he's good AJs is pretty unlikely. I pretty much defined my hand as big PP or AK with reraise after playing so tight.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 AM

By checking that turn you gave Villian the opportunity to have anything. Think of how it looks from villains POV. He's playing loose and you try a reraise pf from the CO, this looks like a steal, he calls and you bet the flop. He might think this is a Cbet and calls. You check the turn to an ace telling UTG that the large PP your representing is now beaten. The final Jack is just the icing on the cake, whether he has the jack or not I dont think I would have called a PSB with that ace on the turn.

However, now that I look at the stack sizes it really seems like the turn/river is a push or fold situation. You only have about a PSB left and pushing on the turn is silly with the ace coming out and Villain calling your flop bet.

After considering stack sizes and who you're up against I think you made the right move and folded the river. I honestly don't think even a LAG doesnt have a J or A here enough of the time to make it profitable.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By checking that turn you gave Villian the opportunity to have anything. Think of how it looks from villains POV. He's playing loose and you try a reraise pf from the CO, this looks like a steal, he calls and you bet the flop. He might think this is a Cbet and calls. You check the turn to an ace telling UTG that the large PP your representing is now beaten. The final Jack is just the icing on the cake, whether he has the jack or not I dont think I would have called a PSB with that ace on the turn.

However, now that I look at the stack sizes it really seems like the turn/river is a push or fold situation. You only have about a PSB left and pushing on the turn is silly with the ace coming out and Villain calling your flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had exactly same thoughts about this hand. I posted this because I hated so much making myself vulnerable on the turn, but as you said, I'm pretty much committed if I bet the turn for even half the pot.

I'm starting to see the strengths of good LAG play, especially against tightasses like me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-04-2006, 09:06 AM

Sorry missed your reads (thats why I have a picture of a donkey)... I think your right though 99, 33 seem the most obvious hands to me.

You have to fold the winning hands from time to time, in this case I think you made the right lay down as many hands beat you.

AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
AQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
AA
AJ
JJ

I think I pay off those pot sized river bets far to often with the losing hands
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry missed your reads (thats why I have a picture of a donkey)... I think your right though 99, 33 seem the most obvious hands to me.

You have to fold the winning hands from time to time, in this case I think you made the right lay down as many hands beat you.

AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
AQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
AA
AJ
JJ

I think I pay off those pot sized river bets far to often with the losing hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget Jx.

At these levels people will call weird stuff to pf raises. J with any other suited card is a possibility. I actually think that in the context of the betting that it makes the most sense since villian might play top pair weak kicker passivly until he hits another j on the river.

Greg
Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

At these levels people will call weird stuff to pf raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that raises are usually not called without good holdings unless the villain is total donk, and this one hadn't done anything so alarming yet.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:42 AM

because of the flush draw I'd probably bet the turn too and hope for a free showdown. As played I fold because all you really beat is a bluff.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 AM

dj,

Hero only has a PSB left on the turn? How much are you betting? You have to bet at least 1/2 pot, which would give Hero pretty good odds to call the river. I think the turn is push or fold. Im not sure what I would do to be honest. I think if push and get called, Im beat unless Villain was on a flush draw.