Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 12:37 AM

Default BJ can he still double down?

I like playing BJ in Vegas a little. Accept it and move on. I played at the frontier.

Mike and I have been having a good time all night. We're drinking, chatting, at one point I make a 5 dollar bet for him when he's low (I'm grandfather in at the 5 dollar min), he gets me back later by providing 15 of a courageous double.

Joe's the dealer. Joe likes us, I think, since we've been tipping fairly regurally. Joe's an old guy, but I can tell he's new at the frontier, because a couple of dealer's/ pit bosses have asked each other what his name is in ear shot. Mike and I are the only ones at the table.

Mike's got 125 on the hand, a big bet for him. He has 11 against the dealer's 8, but he's hesitating because it's a lot of cash. I'm telling him it's a clear double and he's gotta go for it, he's looking at his chips trying to steal up his nerve. While this is going on Joe puts out Mike's card sideways and it's a ten! Hooray. But wait, Mike hasn't put out any money yet.

We're like "WTF?" And then Joe turns Mike's card straight like it's a hit. We say, "Joe what the hell is going on here?" And Joe says "I saw a motion to hit." I didn't see Mike make any hitting motion.

Joe calls the floor we explain the situation, floor says it's a hit, I say "but Joe turned the card sideways, how could he think Mike had hit?" The floor just repeats that only the intial bet is out so it's a hit.

Is this all as bad as it seems to me, or do BJ players basically get screwed if there's any doubt.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:40 AM

Default Re: BJ can he still double down?

Everyone's wrong... the standard ruling for this is to burn the ten and let the guy act. He needs to STFU next time and take the big bet win.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 AM

i don't think the sideways has anything to do with it. i think if the dealer puts a card out there before your DD bet is out you are pooched
Old 05-02-2006, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone's wrong... the standard ruling for this is to burn the ten and let the guy act. He needs to STFU next time and take the big bet win.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are 100% correct. I used to be a table games floor and yes, you cannot back up the card as it is a RANDOM draw. The only thing they can do is offer to burn the card and then let your friend double down. Yes it sucks, but you wouldn't have posted this if the RANDOM card..there's that word again...was a 4, 5, or some non helping card.

This is why they can't allow you to double down. It's not about the money, it's about the integrity of the game. But they should have given the option to take the next card as a double down.

Once again, this post wouldn't be here if the card was a rag that you guys couldn't use and would not have liked as a double down card.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:45 AM

One time i had a hard 16 and without signalling, the dealer hit me, as I had been hitting that hand regularly. The card was paint so I busted, but when the dealer realized that I hadn't signalled, called the pit boss. The ruling was interesting -- he gave me the option of hitting or standing on the paint card. Obviously I was to stay. And then would ask the next player if they wanted the paint card or to stay. And players were deciding their actions on whether a ten helped them or not. In the end, the dealer busted, and I won a hand I wouldn't have had I had time to signal. So, sometimes, we do get benefitted by their mistakes, too.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:13 AM

...and sometimes there is a floorman with a brain that realises that making a customer (or a whole table) happy in the short run will benefit their long run result as they get happy customers that love to come back (to lose more money) and spread the word around about good treatment at the BJ table.

Shadow