Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 05:43 AM

Default I defend my BB w/ JTo

Button is aggressive pf but straightforwarded postflop. Goot?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 05-08-2006, 06:21 AM

Default Re: I defend my BB w/ JTo

I don't get the 3bet pf. What are you ahead of here?

Just call the raise and check fold the flop.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the 3bet pf. What are you ahead of here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. How often is he raising with hands worse than JTo? Why invest so much with this mediocre holding?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 AM

I guess this is ok once in a while. Do yourself a favor and don't make a habit of overplaying hands OOP though.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 AM

After PF postflop is standard.

If you want to mix up your 3 bets OOP or just think villain will fold often enough when you take initiative, I'd save it for suited hands such as JTs. I'd rather do T9s than JTo since it seems extra wild and you have very similar equity.

I'd only consider doing it with something as weak as JTo if villain was very fit or fold, and you don't get many of them at 6max.

But I rarely do any of the above anyway.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback. My thoughts behind the 3-bet were that I can't win the pot if I just call there if I don't connect. I don't do this like ever.. but I thought it might work this time. Oh well I will wait for a little better hand to 3-bet OOP next time.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Hmm, I feel like PF call and check/fold line is really passive. I realize you're OOP and I agree with just calling PF, but maybe this check/fold on flop could depend on button. If button is trying to steal quite a bit, is check/raise on flop line all that bad every once in a while. I hate giving up my big blind on flop every time I have a mediocre hand or I don't hit the flop against an aggro button PF raise. Do I suck it up and go with the check/fold on flop here against an aggro or is a check/raise every once in a while not all that bad?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:21 PM

I dont think on this paired board a C/R would have much value even after the SB folded to stealers flop bet. On other boards I could be convinced because my defense of my BB is weak.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I feel like PF call and check/fold line is really passive. I realize you're OOP and I agree with just calling PF, but maybe this check/fold on flop could depend on button. If button is trying to steal quite a bit, is check/raise on flop line all that bad every once in a while. I hate giving up my big blind on flop every time I have a mediocre hand or I don't hit the flop against an aggro button PF raise. Do I suck it up and go with the check/fold on flop here against an aggro or is a check/raise every once in a while not all that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was planning to take it away I would just peel the flop and sometimes do something on the turn, either donk or check/raise. I think he puts you on air or a flush draw too often if you check/raise the flop. I don't mind peeling this flop since we have a couple of BD draws, chance of domination isn't too concerning. I probably would've check/raised this A turn if we did check/call the flop.