Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Default $26 90 man SNG - 3 handed vs GIGANTIC STACK

3 handed at final table of $26 90 man SNG. 3rd place and I are at a near tie for 2nd place with something around 14,000 and 1st place is sitting huge with about 45,000. He is absolutely abusing us like he should be. What is the best approach to giving yourself a legit shot of getting heads up and winning when only dealt garbage cards. Myself and 3rd place are only sitting with about 15 BB's and he is playing tight trying to move up.

Do i just sit tight and try to find something that is reasonably playable, or do I not let these Blinds eat me up and shove knowing 1st will call with ATC? Decently steep jump in payoff from 2nd to 3rd? Remember 3rd player is being super nit and will commit chips with top 10 hand only. Has folded K-J on button to standard raise from big stack.

Comments or additional strategy would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: $26 90 man SNG - 3 handed vs GIGANTIC STACK

You still have some FE here. A 3:1 chip disadvantage is big, but you only have to double through him once and you're even. So I doubt he'll be calling with ATC as you say.

Given how you describe the other shortie, I'd be trying to push from the button with a wide range of hands, preferably hands that are less likely to be dominated. I'd rather push with 87 than Q7, for example.

Matt
Old 11-13-2007, 11:48 AM

so realistically, is this a standard example of "play to win". Should i really be telling myself, forget doubling my money essentially by going from 3rd to 2nd and just try to double thru the chip leader and change the dynamics of the table by a lot. It seems to make more sense than just taking a stand a few hands too late.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM

He's not going to call you with atc b/c he likes the chip lead and likes to abuse you... I think shoving from the button with a wide range is good too. ESPECIALLY if the other shortie is BB. Seems to me like he's playing for 2nd.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Basically, yeah. I understand the desire to let the weak-tight guy blind down and try to squeeze into 2nd. But don't forget that he's also one double-up (even if he's shorter) from putting you deep into 3rd place and forcing you to take more risks to stay afloat. Better to try to build an advantage over him (and obv. better compete with the big stack) while you still have some FE.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 AM

on button, just limped into pot with AsKs, SB folded, Big stack over raises to 8xBB, i instashove, he snap calls with 22 board bricks out. gg. Thanks for the advice fellas.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 PM

I don't like the limp... I'd be shoving trying to pick up blinds/antes without a showdown. Now he probably would have made the call with 22 so outcome would have been the same, but if a or k doesn't hit and he bets flop, then what? I'd only limp here with AA or KK since you're in position... even still I probably don't do it.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 PM

i limped becuz i was playing so tight esp for it being 3 handed. it truly was going RAISE-FOLD-FOLD for like 10 straight hands. I had been showing a lot of successsful 3bet bluffs on flop after limping, mostly with garbage when playing 6 handed all the way down to 4 handed. CL was aggresssive, but also seemed to be a decent player who was noticing tendencies. I wanted him to think a)i was weak and wanted to see a flop b)knew he is abusing bubble and raising every hand and could easily get him to fold PF with squeeze.

Really tho, if CL decided to check his BB (which i knew he wouldn't) I was going to Stop and go. Blinds were 800-1600 so either way, taking the pot down on the flop would add 20% to my stack, so i figure it's worth the risk and even if the flop comes garbage low cards, i would prob not be drawing completely dead in most situations where he would check his BB. He is not checking ANY pair or any decent holding. He will be betting strong.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 PM

BB was at 1600 and you had about 15k chips left? This is a mandatory preflop shove and you're welcoming a call from anything except KK/AA.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Yea, i was just waiting for the super nit to show some kind of life, but he seems content to making it heads up with 2 BB's and cashing out. So i let myself get a little too short to hold any kind of FE. However, I still can get even with him if I double thru. Considering that i am being a nit at that moment, if i just shove right there and hes holding 93o, it's a sure fold correct? To be honest, I agree with playing for first and I would like to play a big pot with my big starting hand. I thought that limping would be my easiest and more surefire way of building a pot that is worth playing for, knowing very well I am gambling and could lose to a very bag holding such as 93o.