Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 AM

Default struggling with a career

I am really struggling with figuring out what career i want to get into. I am 24 and i have about 55 credits, all in your basic liberal arts courses. I was interested in law enforcement but after getting some input, i dont think its a good idea. I started out with social work awhile back and it was horrible, so then i moved to finance and thats pretty bad as well.

I really like working with kids so teaching has recently sparked my interest. Any feed back from people who have struggled in this area at one point or another would be appreciated, as well as thoughts on teaching.

thanks for the help
Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: struggling with a career

Teaching is the lowest paying job that requires as masters degree. Also, it is very similar to Social work ( I'm a social worker, my wife a teacher). If you live in the Northeast it can be difficult to get a teaching position as there are close to 100 applicants per position.

If you live in the south you'll get a job, and may not even need a masters right away ( maybe never each state is different).

Ocupation therapy is a much better field to be going into. Can still work in a school ( ie have summers off), still work with kids, and the pay is better then teaching. If I could do it over again I would ahve done this.

Ken
Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: struggling with a career

[ QUOTE ]
Teaching is the lowest paying job that requires as masters degree. Also, it is very similar to Social work ( I'm a social worker, my wife a teacher). If you live in the Northeast it can be difficult to get a teaching position as there are close to 100 applicants per position.

If you live in the south you'll get a job, and may not even need a masters right away ( maybe never each state is different).

Ocupation therapy is a much better field to be going into. Can still work in a school ( ie have summers off), still work with kids, and the pay is better then teaching. If I could do it over again I would ahve done this.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you need a Masters to teach in most States??

I only have a BEd/BSc and tought for over 20 years. I'd estimate only 10-20% of teachers in Canada have Masters degrees.

As far as pay, the average salary here in Alberta is about $60k, which is fairly decent IMO.