Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2006, 01:44 AM

Default anyone else here grind out 20K /year without any software help?

i guess this might come off as somewhat of a brag post but that is not my intentions. i was just thinking about this while reading a post in another forum if its possible to be a big winner without any poker traker, HUD, SNG, ICM calculator etc... well, i am, i won over 30K last year, some of it in MTTs, but majority grinding out 55s and 109s, and now the 77s. am i rare? btw,, im off to an even better start this year, but sorry I cant tell you exact ROIs or ITM's.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 AM

Default Re: anyone else here grind out 20K /year without any software help?

Well, once you've used SNGPT for awhile you dont really have to use it anymore... And many people use PT just for record keeping purposes... and I dont think HUDs are as useful for SNGs as they are for cash games, and not even for cash games as much anymore since you can't datamine party. So, my guess is that many people are the same as you. No big accomplishment.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:47 AM

well, if its not broke, dont fix it. If you are happy with your results, keep going. I think the post game analysis really improved my game but who knows, it might make you a losing player.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:53 AM

ive been wondering about this for some time, but just now posted this. i know im not a poker playing wonderkid (im actually in my 30s), i think my greatest attributes are good sng math instincts and psychology. i sometimes wonder how good i am, as far as statistics go. but to be truthful, the reason i don't have the software is because i suck at computers, and don't have a clue as to how to work those things, and on top of that i dont have any real poker playing freinds. so, im not dogging the softwares, i actually think i would learn something from it, but oh well.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:35 AM

You don't need SNGPT if you know what it will say, but you absolutely need PT and PAHUD to max your potential. If you really can't figure out how to use them, ask a neighbor's kid to install them for 20 bucks while you watch - it'll take him 10 minutes.

I learned how to play w/o them at Bodog and other sites that aren't supported, but when everyone around you is using stuff like that (and, for example, can read every hand you've ever shown down if they manage to forget how you play, all in <5 minutes) you are at a huge disadvantage.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:50 AM

I think Doyle did it for few decades, not only with no software, but no computers.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need SNGPT if you know what it will say, but you absolutely need PT and PAHUD to max your potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think these are all that important for SNGs?
Old 03-11-2006, 03:00 AM

Several people, whose opinions I value, swear by HUDs, but I used one for about 15 hands and couldn't stand the distraction.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Several people, whose opinions I value, swear by HUDs, but I used one for about 15 hands and couldn't stand the distraction.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Especially with ten tables. Whatever argument you can make for the usefulness of HUDs in SNGs, they will always be 10 times as useful for cash games. For higher stakes SNGs though, I'm sure you're right adanthar. I just fail to see the real benefits at low stakes SNGs, especially when you rarely play enough hands with anybody to build any meaningful statistics about them.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep it up becasue i'm used to it from ring games, but for SNGs I really don't use it for much more than identifying which players I've played with before so that I can know to pay attention and take notes on them.