Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Poker Tracker Omaha and PT Guide

I've been playing PLO8 for over a year, want to improve my game, and am deciding whether or not to get PTO. I've downloaded the trial version and have looked through it. I feel that the information could be better organized through the use of more tabs.

1. What are some specific ways that you have used PTO to improve your O8 game? (Following around people who you've won the most money from? Raising more often preflop? Going over losing hands?)

2. If anyone has purchased the Poker Tracker Guide (pokertrackerguide.com) for $20, how much of the information applies to O8? Would it be better suited for Hold 'Em players?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Poker Tracker Omaha and PT Guide

I use PTO. Main thing I gained from it was that it demonstrated in black and white (or rather green and red) that my preflop hand selection was too loose, e.g. 23xx and QQxx really are losing hands in general. Of course that information was already available to me, PTO just helped me get it through my thick head :-). The different win rates in different positions are revealing too; for example, I was losing quite a lot of money from the BB (more than just the blinds) because I tended to overplay those marginal hands (defended too much), so now I fold the BB to preflop raises quite a bit more.

My experience with losing players is that the biggest losers are people who only show up a few times, get stacked and go bust, and then disappear. So I don't know whether tracking them via PTO would make any sense. It could be useful as a way of identifying leaks in the game of a regular grinder, though.

Going over losing hands is something you can do without PTO. But I have to say that most of my mistakes are big enough that I know what they are immediately after the hand. Much as I enjoy discussing marginal decisions in situations where someone might or might not have extracted another BB from their opponent, the important thing in low-limit PLO8 is remembering that your opponents aren't bluffing and if you don't have the nuts (or a draw to the nuts at the right odds) you should fold to a pot-sized bet.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:24 PM

buy PTO. well worth it. Like finding out who big losers and winners are if nothing else. not to mention its nice to know post-flop aggression and how much of a station ppl are.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:52 PM

i honestly feel that my game has improved drastically since buyying PTO (actually got it for 'free' via PSO over the summer). great program...i dont use it as much to find big winners and losers, i use it to help my self. it helps me see where my leaks are. helps me see that my defense stats were much too high...since then my stats are now much lowwer, and my winnrate reflects that. its also helpful to b able to go back and play thru sessions again. ive learned a lot from reviewing session, and especially reviewing sessions that i played a few months ago. (its also nice to know that uve improved quite a bit since then). use PSO to get it if ur worried about the money...u can burn it off thru AP very easily. gl, and enjoy it
Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 PM

Bbart & Split Suit - you have both made very good observations and are sharing what i consider to be key info with the board.

The 2 most common mistakes I see are losing players defending their blinds too often, and losing players playing starting hands that are not likely to win even if they get a piece of the flop. QQ and 23 are 2 of the most common 'mistake hands' that are played -what are they hoping for - 1/2 pot if they get lucky? Why start the hand if your goal is a half pot?

I need to clarify by stating that I play 98% LO8 and do not feel qualified to comment on PLO8 at this point.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Theoretically limit and pot-limit might have different hand selections, since you can achieve greater implied odds in pot limit. But in practice there doesn't seem to be that much difference. I would expect lower suited cards to be slightly more valuable in limit - you can afford to call to the river with a K-high flush in limit (under certain circumstances), whereas in pot limit it's not a good idea. Also KK seems to be more playable in pot limit because you occasionally stack someone overplaying AA against your set, or someone who has made a lower FH... but most KKxx hands are no good in limit. FWIW KKxx shows as more profitable than AAxx in my pokertracker stats (+1BB/hand vs -0.2BB/hand for AAxx), but that probably just tells you that I'm also sometimes one of those suckers who overplays AA...

I play 95% PLO8. My limit O8 experience mostly comes from playing HORSE...
Old 12-08-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
buy PTO. well worth it. Like finding out who big losers and winners are if nothing else. not to mention its nice to know post-flop aggression and how much of a station ppl are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best feature imo. I play headsup, so if I see someone up real big on me, I go over the hands and see how/why he was beating me.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best feature imo. I play headsup, so if I see someone up real big on me, I go over the hands and see how/why he was beating me.

[/ QUOTE ]

quit ripping off my stars' nickname!
Old 12-09-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

quit ripping off my stars' nickname!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was Brealz for like always. I remember seeing you copy my name at Paradise.