Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Player buys in over the limit and wants his money back

This happened last weekend at the Borgata. I have a feeling I know what everyone's response will be, but I'm curious to see if there will be any disagreement.

Backstory: I felt this guy on a thin call... he goes into uber tilt mode. Thinks I'm the biggest donkey in the world, etc. etc. Tilts off money, goes and borrows more, tilts off more, gets stacked again by someone else, borrows more, etc.

After a while we are playing 3-handed. He gets felted by the other guy at the table. He goes and borrows money from his friend and comes back with 2 orange chips ($1k each). He puts one on the table in front himself and asks me for change for the other one. So I give him change which he pulls back over in front of him next to his remaining orange chip. This is the Borgata $5/$10 where the max buy-in is $1500. No one (including me, the dealer, the other player, or my friend who is sweating me) notice that he has now bought in $500 over the limit. Ostensibly, he doesn't notice either.

The very first hand afer his rebuy, I have 55 to his A6 on a 656 board and I felt him again. He ships the chips and goes off to borrow more money while myself and the other guy play heads up. In the meantime the dealer change occurs. The tilty guy comes back and counts out cash on the table to buy in. He has $1800 in bills. While making change for him, the dealer informs him that the max is $1500 and so he'll have to pull $300 off the table. He says "oh hey that's right... $1500 max... but I bought in $2000 on a minute ago... that dealer should not have let me do that... they should give me my money back." The dealer laughs and says "you can talk to the floor if you want but they'll just tell you it's too late now and that you needed to speak up before the pot was awarded". The guy insists on talking to the floor. The floor says exactly what the dealer said they would. The guy tries his hardest to get some sort of concession from the floor but ultimately lets the issue drop.

The problem is, then he starts in on me. "Hey you should give me my $500 back blah blah it isn't fair blah blah if I won I'd give it back to you blah blah it's the right thing to do blah blah your integrity blah blah."

I'll post how I handled it later, but in the meantime what would everyone else do in this situation?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Player buys in over the limit and wants his money back

no
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-29-2007, 07:01 AM

If he won the pot would he be giving you $500 back??

...I doubt it.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:01 AM

next level, maybe? the guy keeps stacking himself...

otoh, yeah it's utterly f'in ridiculous for him to even ask, let alone for you to give it back... unless you're guaranteed (by your estimate) to make another 1k off of him, I wouldn't do it. And probably not even then; your turn for the cooler could be coming.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll post how I handled it later, but in the meantime what would everyone else do in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome to handle this just about any way you please, up to but not quite including popping him in the schnoz. I really hope you didn't give him a penny.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 AM

Question is.. is this guy telling you the truth that he'd give back the 500?

I'd feel a little bit of a bastard not returning it, but again what if he had won and then left with the extra money? When he bought in, it is just as though the cap was 2K and not 1.5K. I wouldn't think this should change much. In fact, the more I think about it, the more you are correct in keeping the extra. The hand was played fairly (no missing cards, etc).
Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 AM

Eh, I'd feel a little bad but I wouldn't give back his money. It would never even occur to me to ask for the $500 back if I lost the hand, so his claim that he would have given it back means nothing to me. If I had lost the pot, he would have kept it all. I figure the reverse is only fair.

SpaceAce
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question is.. is this guy telling you the truth that he'd give back the 500?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that it's impossible to know. He insisted he would, but my instinct is that, especially given that he thought I was a megafish, that he intentionally bought in over the cap in hopes that he would get it all in and win the extra $500 when he doubled through me. Of course I can't prove this. I also think, especially given his state of mind, that he would not return the extra, even if buying in for more was an honest mistake.